Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Grey Dotted Circle in iTunes

Alright, so I've already scoured online for a solution and unfortunately nothing has helped. It boils down to either selecting "manually manage music blah blah" or you ran out of memory on your phone for syncing things.

I have checked this setting and I have 50gb left on my phone that is free for space. When I sync to iTunes it still omits albums randomly (and only albums at a time, not single songs on albums). What is the solution here?

Things I have tried:

1. Syncing my phone to my iTunes library
  2. Deleting everything off my phone and then resyncing to iTunes, but it still has the SAME albums under the grey circle.
  3. Checked the iTunes music files to make sure I still had the song files, which I do.

I am using Windows 10 and I have iTunes fully updated. Thank you for any help.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Apr 15, 2017 10:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2017 3:16 AM

Try the following all-purpose steps for dealing with erratic device or sync behaviour. They assume that all of the content you want on the device is in your library ready for restoring. If it isn't see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device first. I would also recommend you copy everything out of the camera roll if you haven't already.

1. Backup device. (To iTunes, over USB, with your laptop on power, make sure it doesn't sleep)
  2. Restore as a new device. (Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support)
  3. Restore the backup you made earlier.

Use an encrypted backup if you want to preserve passwords, Wi-Fi settings, web history and health data where appropriate. I also suggest syncing with a selection of playlists (unless you're using iCloud Music Library) rather than manually adding content as, if nothing else, the process above is easier to do if you ever have to go through it again.

tt2

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2017 3:16 AM in response to cheezit97

Try the following all-purpose steps for dealing with erratic device or sync behaviour. They assume that all of the content you want on the device is in your library ready for restoring. If it isn't see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device first. I would also recommend you copy everything out of the camera roll if you haven't already.

1. Backup device. (To iTunes, over USB, with your laptop on power, make sure it doesn't sleep)
  2. Restore as a new device. (Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support)
  3. Restore the backup you made earlier.

Use an encrypted backup if you want to preserve passwords, Wi-Fi settings, web history and health data where appropriate. I also suggest syncing with a selection of playlists (unless you're using iCloud Music Library) rather than manually adding content as, if nothing else, the process above is easier to do if you ever have to go through it again.

tt2

Jul 8, 2017 11:38 AM in response to cheezit97

I first ensure my iPhone is backed up and the syncing process is complete. While the iPhone is still connected to iTunes, I go to the affected songs on my iPhone and delete them from the playlist by:

1. Pressing and holding the song

2. Selecting "Delete from Library"

3. Then "Delete Song"

After I have deleted all the "greyed circled" songs, I re-sync the phone by pressing the "Sync" button and I watch as the greyed circled songs become checked. I've done this a few times now and there has been no loss in data. I hope this helps.

Nov 2, 2017 4:41 PM in response to cheezit97

Did you ever figure this out? I tried the suggestion by Traveler4Hire here in this thread and it worked. The only problem is that since there were numerous songs with grey circles spread throughout my playlists, when I synced everything afterwards, it created a duplicate of all my playlists, so that took some time to delete and resync again. So far, so good though. This didn't happen to me until this last update this week. We'll see if it makes it the next time there's an update.

Grey Dotted Circle in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.