Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch dead for 3 months can't charge.

Apple watch first gen was dead for about 3 months in the bottom of a backpack. I finally plugged it in today only to notice  logo comes on, then dies shuts off. The watch charger is turning the device on; which kills the battery from charging. This has been going on for 6 hours. Watch is just sitting plugged in to the wall, apple logo comes on watch ***** off. Can not hard reset because that requires power.

There are no problems with the USB cord, wall charger, or watch connection. This has been tested with 2 other watches and other cords.

The issue I'm facing is all apples products turn on when charging which is not smart from a engineer standpoint.

Any other suggestions to get more power current to the watch that can substain the power being on while trying to charge the battery???

Apple Watch, watchOS 3.2, null

Posted on Apr 16, 2017 11:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2018 3:50 AM

Did you ever find a solution to this issue? I am having the same issue...and can't believe an apple watch I've only worn a handful of times (even though its old) is dead. ?

3 replies

Jan 9, 2018 5:21 AM in response to NJTOYA

Hi

If your Apple Watch has not been used for a long time, then, depending on the battery status at the time of storage and on how long the Apple Watch has been stored, the battery may have fallen into a deep discharge state and now be incapable of holding a charge.

Apple advises that, when storing Apple Watch long term, you should store it with a 50% charge and then recharge it to 50% every six months. See under the heading "Store it half-charged when you store it long term":

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Follow the instructions here, including contacting Apple Support (mail-in service may be available, if required) or visiting an Apple Authorised Service Provider if necessary:

Be sure to use only an Apple or MFi-certified USB power adapter or third-party accessory in conjunction with the Magnetic Charging Cable or Magnetic Charging Dock when charging your Apple Watch.

If you are already doing so, try using another such cable and/or power adapter, including trying an Apple iPad USB Power Adapter first, if you have access to one.

If required, to arrange service, select your country and follow the instructions on the subsequent page:

Select your country to see Apple Watch service options

Apple Watch dead for 3 months can't charge.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.