Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Hardware Test Error: 4BAT/6/40000005 0x8983d990

I all,

i get this error:

4BAT/6/40000005 0x8983d990

on apple hardware test.

I ran the test since initially the macbook did not boot without CA cable.

After some hour it turned out that if i hold for a long time the power button it boots.

The extremely weird and alarming (to me) thing is that the computer seems to run perfectly most of the time you use it, BUT sometimes (even more than some) it becomes jerky and therefore it becomes useless. It lags every time you try to do every thing, for instance changing workspace, move the mouse and especially typing!!

I have a MacBook Pro 13 inch (mid 2012) A1278.

It has been done an upgrade of memory from 4 to 8 GB.

The battery has been changed recently and I reseted SMC and {NV, P}RAM following the support guide since they looked like a common resolution of issues related to battery and power management more in general.

Does anybody knows what does it mean?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Apr 17, 2017 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2017 1:56 PM

It is an error produced by the battery, but exactly what it means is known only to Apple techs. You should at least check your battery stats using System Information in the Utilities' folder. Click on the Power item in the list. Results are displayed on the right. Be sure you test with the charger disconnected as well as when connected. Consider doing the following: Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If needed find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2017 1:56 PM in response to ilrosso211

It is an error produced by the battery, but exactly what it means is known only to Apple techs. You should at least check your battery stats using System Information in the Utilities' folder. Click on the Power item in the list. Results are displayed on the right. Be sure you test with the charger disconnected as well as when connected. Consider doing the following: Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If needed find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple.

Apr 18, 2017 1:56 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the reply.

I also guess that the issue is related to the battery.
I ran the apple hardware test without CA cable and i obtained the same kind of error but with different hex number.

Here you may find the battery information.

Battery Information:

Model Information:

Serial Number: W01107AW7D3BA

Manufacturer: TOP

Device Name: A1322

Pack Lot Code: 3230

PCB Lot Code: 30db

Firmware Version: ddae

Hardware Revision: dac2

Cell Revision: 2b39

Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 1561

Fully Charged: No

Charging: No

Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6037

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 3

Condition: Normal

Battery Installed: Yes

Amperage (mA): -1453

Voltage (mV): 10817

System Power Settings:

AC Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Wake on AC Change: No

Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes

Wake on LAN: Yes

AutoPowerOff Delay: 14400

AutoPowerOff Enabled: 1

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

Hibernate Mode: 3

PrioritizeNetworkReachabilityOverSleep: 0

Standby Delay: 4200

Standby Enabled: 0

Battery Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0

Wake on AC Change: No

Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes

AutoPowerOff Delay: 14400

AutoPowerOff Enabled: 1

Current Power Source: Yes

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

Hibernate Mode: 3

Reduce Brightness: No

Standby Delay: 4200

Standby Enabled: 0

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

AC Charger Information:

Connected: No

Charging: No

Any possible suggestions or ideas is appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Apr 19, 2017 3:34 AM in response to ilrosso211

When you took the Information from System Information>Power, was the charger connected as was requested? If so, the Mac is not recognizing the charger.

Having installed a third party battery may in it self be the problem (as also suggested by Allan Jones). To date, veteran ACS participants have determined that Anker and NuPower batteries work well in Macs. All others are suspect until proven otherwise. I make that statement due to the numerous posts on these forums regarding the sub-par performance of many bargain batteries that are available, especially on ebay.

Ciao.

Apple Hardware Test Error: 4BAT/6/40000005 0x8983d990

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.