Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off iMessage on only one device AND delete all the messages ONLY on that device?

iMessage is installed on three devices, my iPhone, my iPad and my Mac. Truthfully, I never use iMessage on my iPad and, it would be nice to free up that one gigabit of space on the iPad. Yes, it was easy to turn off the iMessage capability in Settings. However, that one gigabit of iMessages is still on my iPad. How do I remove all those messages from ONLY my iPad? The logical answer would be to delete all of them, one by one. Or, use the edit button to check many of them and delete at once. Unfortunately, that is not possible because when you open iMessage, a window pops up requiring you to login with your Apple ID. As far as I can tell, there is no way to close that pop up window. Therefore, there is no way to access all your messages, in order to Delete them. I don't see anyone else posting this question so am I being a bonehead and am I missing something obvious? Thanks

Posted on Apr 17, 2017 3:50 PM

4 replies

Apr 19, 2017 7:40 AM in response to chris_g1

Really good suggestion, but Apple seems to have blocked the user from doing anything in iMessage unless you are logged in.

To summarize

1) I turned off iMessage

2) I turned off Wifi

3) Starting iMessage causes this screen to appear

User uploaded file

There is no way to bypass this screen that I can tell. You must double click and swipe up to kill the app.

4) I also tried turning off WiFi and logging into this screen. You can't because, without WiFi, iMessage can't reach Apple's servers

5) I also tried turning on Wifi and turning off iMessage. Then logged into iMessage on this screen. It turns iMessage back on. I then turned iMessage off again in Settings. When you swipe back to iMessage, this login screen again appears.

Again thank you for the suggestion but either I didn't understand or Apple has blocked your idea

Apr 18, 2017 10:56 AM in response to EAJS

Hello EAJS,
Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I understand you are having an issue deleting iMessages off your iPad. I use my messages all the time and know how important it is to have your device working the way you want and I'm here to help.

The first thing I would recommend doing is turning off the WI-FI in the iPad. Once that has been complete you want to delete the messages on your device. Once you turn the WI-FI back on your iPad messages will no longer be synced with your other devices. I have attached link to help with the troubleshooting.

Connect to Wi-Fi on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Please let me know if you are still having issues.
Have a great day!

Turn off iMessage on only one device AND delete all the messages ONLY on that device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.