Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CAN THE IPAD 2ND GENERATION BE UPGRADED OR UPDATED

I RECENTLY RECIEVED AN IPAD GENERATION 2 FROM A FRIEND WHO USED IT VERY FEW HOURS SINCE IT WAS PURCHASED IN 2011 I WANT TO KNOW IF THIS IPAD CAN BE UPDATED OR UPGRADED BECAUSE MANY OF THE GAMES/THINGS I DO ON COMPUTER THE IPAD SAYS TO UPGRADE HOWEVER DOESN'T SAY HOW IF TO WHAT VERSION IT MAY BE UPGRADED TO.....CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME IF THIS IS POSSIBLE AND IF IT IS EVEN WORTH THE EFFORT. THIS IPAD WAS OWNED BY MY 72 YEAR OLD FRIEND WHO NEVER REALLY EVER USED IT.......IF NOT UPGRADABLE IS THERE A TRADE IN FOR THE 2ND GENERATION IPAD?

THANKS

BRENDA

<E-mail Edited by Host>

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 4.2, MODEM FIRMWARE 07.10.00

Posted on Apr 18, 2017 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2017 8:54 AM

Before we can tell you whether it can be upgraded or not, we need to know some things about the iPad.

Go into Settings, then General, then About, and post the model number, and the version number that appear there.

This will tell us specifically what iPad it is and what iOS it is running. From there we can tell you if it can be updated and to what it can be updated specifically.

With that said, the maximum iOS version an actual iPAd 2 can run is iOS 9.3.5 which should be sufficient at this time to run most games and software available in the App store.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2017 8:54 AM in response to bkosborn

Before we can tell you whether it can be upgraded or not, we need to know some things about the iPad.

Go into Settings, then General, then About, and post the model number, and the version number that appear there.

This will tell us specifically what iPad it is and what iOS it is running. From there we can tell you if it can be updated and to what it can be updated specifically.

With that said, the maximum iOS version an actual iPAd 2 can run is iOS 9.3.5 which should be sufficient at this time to run most games and software available in the App store.

Apr 18, 2017 9:04 AM in response to bkosborn

If its an actual iPad 2, you need to make sure you have your friend disable Find my Phone with his Apple ID and password and make sure your friend has de-activated/de-authorised this iPad from his Apple ID and password or else you will run into iOS Activation Lock?

I am not sure if iOS 4.2 had Activation Lock or not, but if it does, you will never, EVER be able to use this iPad 2 with your own Apple ID and password.

If you get this iPad 2 to work with your own Apple ID and password, you will need a computer running the latest version of iTunes to connect the iPad 2 to in order to upgrade the iPad 2 to iOS 9.3.5.

You can upgrade this iPad 2 to iOS 9.3.5 and see how it works and if it would work satisfactory for you!

Some, not all iPad 2 models had issues running iOS 9.3.5

And since this iPad is to be spared all of the iOS upgrades past, that iPad 2 may just run AOK on iOS 9.3.5 with still some system mods after the fact!

Good Luck to You!

CAN THE IPAD 2ND GENERATION BE UPGRADED OR UPDATED

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.