Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone disconnects with quicktime recording

Hi,

I've been trying to solve this problem but I can't seem to get over this

using Late 2013 MBPr 15" (10.12.4), iPad air(1)(10.3.1), iPhone5(10.3.1)

everytime I initiate capturing iPad and iPhone with Quicktime by selecting phone/pad by clicking dropdown menu, Quicktime gives me a popup with error message after a minute or so saying

"This operation could not be completed" and my phone and pad simply disconnects from the laptop

even though they're still charging.

tried both right and left ports with both bundle cable and MFI Verbatim cable

the only case I could search from the internet that's similar in symptom was this

QuickTime Player disconnects iPhone trying to capture screen

although I can't really think it's the VMware since I just did the re-install and the only things I've installed are Adobe CC app with Photoshop and Lightroom, 1password/mini, Wacom driver, FCPX, Numbers, Pages, and Keynote

I hope it's not the faulty logic board...cause everything else is working just fine 😟

Can anyone shed some light on this matter????

Thx for reading

Posted on Apr 18, 2017 9:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2017 10:30 AM

I've been trying to solve this problem but I can't seem to get over this using Late 2013 MBPr 15" (10.12.4), iPad air(1)(10.3.1), iPhone5(10.3.1)

everytime I initiate capturing iPad and iPhone with Quicktime by selecting phone/pad by clicking dropdown menu, Quicktime gives me a popup with error message after a minute or so saying "This operation could not be completed" and my phone and pad simply disconnects from the laptop even though they're still charging.

Although the iPhone 5 and 5C can be upgrade to iOS v10.3.1, both devices are supposedly no longer supported actively by Apple as of Apr 3,1017. See chart below:

User uploaded file

And, while the iPad Air (1st Gen) is still supposedly being supported actively by Apple, users of this iOS device using iOS v10.3.1 have been reporting that they are no longer able to make QT X v10.4 "Movie Recordings" on platforms running Sierra v10.12.4 as noted above. At this time it is unclear if this is a temporary "bug" which Apple plans to fix or if this is a permanent issue due to termination of support for certain older iOS devices no longer in production.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2017 10:30 AM in response to farreach84

I've been trying to solve this problem but I can't seem to get over this using Late 2013 MBPr 15" (10.12.4), iPad air(1)(10.3.1), iPhone5(10.3.1)

everytime I initiate capturing iPad and iPhone with Quicktime by selecting phone/pad by clicking dropdown menu, Quicktime gives me a popup with error message after a minute or so saying "This operation could not be completed" and my phone and pad simply disconnects from the laptop even though they're still charging.

Although the iPhone 5 and 5C can be upgrade to iOS v10.3.1, both devices are supposedly no longer supported actively by Apple as of Apr 3,1017. See chart below:

User uploaded file

And, while the iPad Air (1st Gen) is still supposedly being supported actively by Apple, users of this iOS device using iOS v10.3.1 have been reporting that they are no longer able to make QT X v10.4 "Movie Recordings" on platforms running Sierra v10.12.4 as noted above. At this time it is unclear if this is a temporary "bug" which Apple plans to fix or if this is a permanent issue due to termination of support for certain older iOS devices no longer in production.

Apr 28, 2017 7:01 AM in response to CDASteve

Yes don't know where impression that iPhone 5 is cutoff from updates?! It's official supported by Apple. https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-10/

You can even signup to beta if you want but not sure I would do that on a primary phone unless you understood well it was an version beta. I am sure eventually the iPhone 5 will be dropped of but you should be good with all the iOS 10 versions.

Chart depicted above is based on THIS WIKIPEDIA ARTICLE. My chart only lists devices currently compatible with iOS v10.3.1 (excluding the iPod Touch 6G) which includes the iPhone 5/5C. The comment citing April 3, 1017 as a cutoff date for official Apple support may be in error (based on initial release of iOS v10.3.2 Beta which did not support 32-bit devices but whose support was restored in subsequent beta releases). However, this article has yet to be updated as of this date, so I included the information in my chart. I agree that any iOS v10.3.2 public release will likely correct the current v10.3.1 32-bit support incompatibility issues as reflected by the latest beta release, but hasten to add that "the handwriting is on the wall." Current 32-bit error trapping now built into iOS public releases v10.3 and v10.3.1, along with Apple developer restrictions requiring all future app submissions be 64-bit compliant, seems to indicate iOS v11 won't support any 32-bit (such as the iPhone 5/5C A6) based devices.

User uploaded file

Apr 27, 2017 1:06 PM in response to farreach84

Yes don't know where impression that iPhone 5 is cutoff from updates?! It's official supported by Apple. https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-10/

You can even signup to beta if you want but not sure I would do that on a primary phone unless you understood well it was an version beta. I am sure eventually the iPhone 5 will be dropped of but you should be good with all the iOS 10 versions.

iPhone disconnects with quicktime recording

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.