Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airpods Carrying Case has smudge marks

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what best to use to clean the AirPods charging case. There are some dark smudge marks all over the outside of the case from being in my pocket that are not coming off with just a lint-free cloth. PLEASE help 😟 the case looks horrible and I am really upset. I have had a white iPhone for years and this has never happened.

Thanks to anyone that responds 🙂

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Apr 18, 2017 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2017 12:06 PM

The support document that you linked to the forum to refers to Apple's recommendation for cleaning the case. I'm not sure why that is not working, since the case is highly polished plastic that should allow a cloth to wipe most anything from it, unless you have scratched it. I've never experienced a problem wiping mine off.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2017 12:06 PM in response to brendafromport washington

The support document that you linked to the forum to refers to Apple's recommendation for cleaning the case. I'm not sure why that is not working, since the case is highly polished plastic that should allow a cloth to wipe most anything from it, unless you have scratched it. I've never experienced a problem wiping mine off.

Apr 25, 2017 9:14 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Hi. I have tried wiping is with all kinds of lint-free cloths and obviously have shied away from using any solutions because I don't want to mess it up more. If I may share photos of the issue I am having User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

you will see that color rubbed off on both sides of the case - maybe someone including yourself can help 😟

Apr 25, 2017 9:40 AM in response to brendafromport washington

You are correct, there is something that has rubbed off onto the case from inside your pocket. Evidently something was there that reacted with the case that caused the stain. Have you tried just a slightly damp cloth? You do not want to introduce any liquid to the inside area of the case. Otherwise, I'm not aware of anything else that you could use, without the danger of damage. I did not experience any problems like this with mine while carrying them in my pocket.

If you are near an Apple Store, you could always stop in and see if anyone there has a recommendation.

Airpods Carrying Case has smudge marks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.