Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get my recovery key?

Posted on Apr 18, 2017 9:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2017 12:29 AM

If you mean for 2-step verification : Two-step verification for Apple ID - Apple Support

If you ever need a new Recovery Key, you can create one from your Apple ID account page. Just sign in with your password and trusted device, go to the Security section and click Edit, then click Replace Lost Key.

After you create a new key, your old Recovery Key won't work.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2017 12:29 AM in response to KayKay2934

If you mean for 2-step verification : Two-step verification for Apple ID - Apple Support

If you ever need a new Recovery Key, you can create one from your Apple ID account page. Just sign in with your password and trusted device, go to the Security section and click Edit, then click Replace Lost Key.

After you create a new key, your old Recovery Key won't work.

May 7, 2017 1:26 AM in response to LPleavin

I'm not using two-step verification, but if you've logged into the account on http://appleid.apple.com , and clicked on the Edit button next to the Security section on the account's page, you should get the option to 'Replace Lost Key' : If you can't sign in with two-step verification using your Apple ID - Apple Support

As long as you remember your Apple ID password and still have access to one of your trusted devices, you can sign in and create a new Recovery Key.

1. Go to your Apple ID account page.
  2. Sign in with your password and trusted device.
  3. In the Security section, click Edit > Replace Lost Key.

Are you logging in from a trusted device ? What options do you get when you click on the 'Edit' button ?

Sep 5, 2017 11:28 PM in response to Mebtisam

It implies that you set up two-step verification on the account, and you will have received the key when you set it up : Two-step verification for Apple ID - Apple Support

If you've lost it :

Keep your Recovery Key in a secure place in your home, office, or other location. Consider printing more than one copy, so that you can keep your key in more than one place. Your key is easier to find if you ever need it, and you have a spare copy if one is ever lost or destroyed. You shouldn't store your Recovery Key on your device or computer, because that could give an unauthorized user instant access to your key.

May 30, 2017 2:14 AM in response to King_Penguin

This won't work anymore. I have created a few new Apple IDs (I have an obsessed hacker), and now you don't get a Recovery Key. Your apple ID account page don't have an option to create a RK. On top of that, when I want to recover an account, if they ask me for my Recovery Key, they give me only 12 spaces to fill with the code -- but my RKs have 24 characters. They don't work. This is frustrating.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.