Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime is free?

My telco sms me Your carrier may charge for sms message used to on FaceTime. So FaceTime is running in data or cellular?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 10.3.1

Posted on Apr 19, 2017 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2017 7:26 AM

You need an internet connect for Facetime. Facetime runs on wifi for free and does not use data.

However, if you are not connected to wifi, you would be using your data plan for Facetime over cellular.

8 replies

Apr 19, 2017 7:28 AM in response to Brown win

FaceTime is a free service from Apple. It requires an internet data connection, either wifi or cellular. If the data connection is free, there are no charges at all. If a carrier or wifi provider charges you to use their data connection, then charges will apply (to the internet connection provider, not to Apple). The same thing applies for Apple's free iMessage service.

Apr 19, 2017 4:49 PM in response to Brown win

What most posters here are missing is the original post:

My telco sms me Your carrier may charge for sms message used to on FaceTime.

This has nothing to do with whether FaceTime uses data over cellular or WiFi. This refers to the activation process when you enable FaceTime. The message means that enabling FaceTime will involve an SMS - actually an International SMS - to activate the service in Apple's servers, and this specific carrier may charge for that International SMS. As it's international, it will be expensive - probably 50 cents per message or more. And this charge will appear every few days as FaceTime reactivates with Apple's servers.

Using FaceTime over WiFi is usually free (although not always if the ISP providing WiFi charges for data). Using FaceTime over cellular data will NOT be free; it gets applied against the cellular data allowance. But this is not the real issue, which is the periodic international SMS to activate the service and keep it active.

FaceTime is free?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.