Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why I cannot unzip files

Recently I have been unable to unzip files downloaded from Onedrive into my Macbook pro and iMac. I get the message:

Unable to expand into Downloads (Error 2 - No such file or directlory).

Can anybody help?

MacBook, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Apr 19, 2017 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2017 4:59 AM

It can be a zip format that can not be handled by the default unzipper in Finder.

In that case go to the Appstore and download/install

"The Unarchiver" (free) drag your file on the app and it will be unzipped into a folder. (look at the settings of The Unarchiver to see where you want it unzipped).

2 replies

Apr 19, 2017 2:49 PM in response to bruce.lorimer

In Safari Preferences : uncheck Open "safe" files after downloading. Remove the file corpse from your downloads folder, and download it again. The .zip will just be saved into your Downloads folder.

Next to your Trash icon, should be the alias to your Downloads folder. If you single-click it, the bottom-most file will be your last download. Single-click the .zip file, and it will unzip in your Downloads folder, and a new Finder window will appear with the unzipped file/folder selected.

Is this what you want?

why I cannot unzip files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.