Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iPhone require passcode immediately?

I am new to iPhone, and have one running IOS 10.3.1.

In contrast to my iPad, which when turned on within 15 minutes of being turned off, turns on without requiring its passcode, my iPhone seems to require it all the time, immediately after being awoken. In the Touch ID and Passcode settings, under Require passcode, it says immediately, and that cannot be changed.

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12), 27" iMac 24 GB memory

Posted on Apr 20, 2017 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2017 2:10 PM

User uploaded file

The above comes from here.

Use a passcode with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

12 replies

Apr 20, 2017 2:28 PM in response to bobgoldstein

bobgoldstein wrote:

... it makes a bit of sense, to not weaken the security...

Exactly. Things that may seem obscure at first glance generally do make more sense upon thought. One example that comes to mind is Activation Lock. Why would it help reduce thefts if an iPhone were locked when a thief actually sells a stolen iPhone to an unsuspecting buyer? It takes a while to think that one through - at least it did for me.

Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

Anyway, enjoy your Apple gear!

Apr 20, 2017 1:47 PM in response to bobgoldstein

bobgoldstein wrote:

I am new to iPhone, and have one running IOS 10.3.1.

In contrast to my iPad, which when turned on within 15 minutes of being turned off, turns on without requiring its passcode, my iPhone seems to require it all the time, immediately after being awoken. In the Touch ID and Passcode settings, under Require passcode, it says immediately, and that cannot be changed.

If you have a work exchange email account on your phone that is why it is set to immediately.

Why does iPhone require passcode immediately?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.