Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes isn't playing any music when i press play what is wrong?

So my sound is on and when i click onto a song it doesn't actually start playing it starts acting like its playing but it stays on 0:00 and you can't hear anything. have a mac air macOS Sierra verison 10.12.4

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12.4)

Posted on Apr 20, 2017 8:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2017 5:49 PM

Good afternoon ac.2021,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

If I understand your question, iTunes on your MacBook Air is not playing any song in your iTunes Library, is that correct? If you were able to listen to music recently, what has changed? Have you updated your iTunes software?

The first thing I would suggest is to disconnect any peripherals (including headphones), and restart your MacBook Air. Then, check your sound settings in System Preferences.
  1. Click the Apple icon in the upper-left corner of the display, then click the Sound icon in the second row.
  2. Click the Output tab and then click Internal Speakers (Built-in). Make sure the Output volume at the bottom of the screen is in the middle and there is no checkmark in front of the word Mute.
  3. Place a checkmark in the "Show volume in menu bar" box.
  4. While you are in the Sound preferences, click on the Sound Effects tab.
  5. Make sure "Play sound effects through:" is set to Internal Speakers
  6. Drag the alert volume slider all the way to the right.
  7. Scroll down and click on "Glass" - do you hear the sound through your speakers?
  8. Close the Sound preferences panel by clicking on the red dot in the upper left corner.
Try playing a song again in iTunes:
  1. Click the iTunes icon on the Dock.
  2. Click on the Library tab at the top of the iTunes window.
  3. Choose the Music category in the upper-left corner.
  4. Click Songs on the left sidebar
  5. Double-click on a song to play it.
Do you hear the music now?
Do you see the sound icon in the menu bar (looks like a speaker with waves coming out to the right)?

ac.2021, try playing several different songs, and let us know if the issue persists.
If the music is not playing, you may need to update or reinstall your iTunes software.

Get help if the internal speakers on your Mac don‘t make sound

Get the latest version of iTunes

Take care.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2017 5:49 PM in response to ac.2021

Good afternoon ac.2021,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

If I understand your question, iTunes on your MacBook Air is not playing any song in your iTunes Library, is that correct? If you were able to listen to music recently, what has changed? Have you updated your iTunes software?

The first thing I would suggest is to disconnect any peripherals (including headphones), and restart your MacBook Air. Then, check your sound settings in System Preferences.
  1. Click the Apple icon in the upper-left corner of the display, then click the Sound icon in the second row.
  2. Click the Output tab and then click Internal Speakers (Built-in). Make sure the Output volume at the bottom of the screen is in the middle and there is no checkmark in front of the word Mute.
  3. Place a checkmark in the "Show volume in menu bar" box.
  4. While you are in the Sound preferences, click on the Sound Effects tab.
  5. Make sure "Play sound effects through:" is set to Internal Speakers
  6. Drag the alert volume slider all the way to the right.
  7. Scroll down and click on "Glass" - do you hear the sound through your speakers?
  8. Close the Sound preferences panel by clicking on the red dot in the upper left corner.
Try playing a song again in iTunes:
  1. Click the iTunes icon on the Dock.
  2. Click on the Library tab at the top of the iTunes window.
  3. Choose the Music category in the upper-left corner.
  4. Click Songs on the left sidebar
  5. Double-click on a song to play it.
Do you hear the music now?
Do you see the sound icon in the menu bar (looks like a speaker with waves coming out to the right)?

ac.2021, try playing several different songs, and let us know if the issue persists.
If the music is not playing, you may need to update or reinstall your iTunes software.

Get help if the internal speakers on your Mac don‘t make sound

Get the latest version of iTunes

Take care.

iTunes isn't playing any music when i press play what is wrong?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.