Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Sign-in Problems

Hello, when I try to sign in to iCloud, in System Settings on this Mac, I get the message: "The action could not be completed. Try again." It only happens on one Mac, and it does not happen when I use the same Mac to sign in to iCloud via my browser.

The computer that is having the problems is an iMac 2009, running El Capitan. The problems began when I changed my iCloud password.

How can I fix this?

Thanks,

Paul

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Apr 20, 2017 10:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2017 8:16 PM

Is it possible for me to delete that screenshot from my post?

You can only edit your post during the first 15 minutes after you posted it. But I reported it to the communitiy hosts and asked for the screenshot to be edited. I see, they already removed the screenshot.

I tried to sign in via iTunes and got the same result.

So it is a wider problem. Do you have any firewalls active that could prevent the communication between your mac and Apple's servers? Kaperski or Little Snitch, or similar? It may be a timeout problem, if your network is slow or is having dropouts.

The iCloud AppleID can behave differently, depending on the service you are trying to use and depending on the country you are in. Is your location set correctly in the system Preferences and location services enabled in System Preferences > Security & privacy?

Did you rename your AppleID recently or changed the password? Then you need to work through this list: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204071

Otherwise check at Apple - My Apple ID, if there is any problem.

Added: There has been a server bug for the iCloud servers, that seems to be fixed now: https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/19/50-gb-and-200-gb-plans-vanish-from-icloud-setting s-for-some-users-likely-server-bug/

perhaps the problems you are having, are aside-effect of this problem.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2017 8:16 PM in response to glyderfach

Is it possible for me to delete that screenshot from my post?

You can only edit your post during the first 15 minutes after you posted it. But I reported it to the communitiy hosts and asked for the screenshot to be edited. I see, they already removed the screenshot.

I tried to sign in via iTunes and got the same result.

So it is a wider problem. Do you have any firewalls active that could prevent the communication between your mac and Apple's servers? Kaperski or Little Snitch, or similar? It may be a timeout problem, if your network is slow or is having dropouts.

The iCloud AppleID can behave differently, depending on the service you are trying to use and depending on the country you are in. Is your location set correctly in the system Preferences and location services enabled in System Preferences > Security & privacy?

Did you rename your AppleID recently or changed the password? Then you need to work through this list: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204071

Otherwise check at Apple - My Apple ID, if there is any problem.

Added: There has been a server bug for the iCloud servers, that seems to be fixed now: https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/19/50-gb-and-200-gb-plans-vanish-from-icloud-setting s-for-some-users-likely-server-bug/

perhaps the problems you are having, are aside-effect of this problem.

Apr 21, 2017 12:32 AM in response to Ella Fitzgerald

Hello Ella,

Thank you. I tried both of these suggestions, and they don't answer my issue. While I can sign in to iCloud via a web browser on this Mac, I have no problem. However, when I attempt the same sign-in through System Preferences, I get error message that I reported earlier. Please see attached. Thanks,

Paul

<Image Edited by Host to Remove Personal Information>

Apr 23, 2017 9:13 PM in response to léonie

Hello Leonie,

I've gone through this list, especially checking the location settings issues that you specified. I then restarted the computer, and tried again. I then shut down my firewalls (the Webroot one) and the system firewall, and tried again. I then switched off the VPN, and tried without that. Still the same problem. After about 5 seconds, I get the message: "The action could not be completed. Try again."

I don't know what to do now. Can you advise further?

Thanks,
Paul

May 22, 2017 8:11 PM in response to glyderfach

Hello Eric, Ella and Leonie,

Thank you for your advice. It seems that the problem is now solved. What seems to happen is that the computer tries to log in to icloud during start-up, and then somehow can't link the password to the account correctly. When I get warning message now, I open up iCloud preferences, and wait. Eventually, without further intervention on my part, the login succeeds. Why this happens I don't know, but it is one of the earlier iMacs. My other computer has no problem with this.

Again, thanks.

Paul

May 22, 2017 10:24 PM in response to glyderfach

When I get warning message now, I open up iCloud preferences, and wait. Eventually, without further intervention on my part, the login succeeds. Why this happens I don't know, but it is one of the earlier iMacs. My other computer has no problem with this.

Thanks for letting us know about this work-around. That is interesting

iCloud Sign-in Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.