Looks like no oneโ€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos stores face pictures

Photos stores pictures of faces as well as the photo itself. This has tripled the amount of photos on my mac. How can I stop it from doing that?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Apr 21, 2017 10:25 AM

6 replies

Apr 21, 2017 11:38 AM in response to Old Toad

In my Photos Library are hundreds of faces thumbnails, all in a subfolder resources/media/face, e.g.

~/Pictures/Photos Library Main.photoslibrary/resources/media/face/f7/00/facetile_f72c.jpeg

These facetile files are not large and do not matter, just roughly 17KB, but they are relatively new, the oldest from September 2016, the newest just from yesterday.

User uploaded file

Apr 21, 2017 12:26 PM in response to lรฉonie

<embarrassed>๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š</embarrassed>. Oppppppppps! I missed the face folder the first time thru the package. Getting old.

I guess my last post was wishful thinking.

For a library of 51,410 photos there are...... wait for the drum roll...... over 60,378 face image files representing 2.17 GB of files for an average of 34 KB per file. So the face images represent about 2% of the library size.

My apologies, Roypd. As you've already been informed there is no way to get rid of the face image files or stop the face recognition.

Be sure to tell Apple what missing features you'd like restored or new features added in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

photos stores face pictures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.