Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reset iBooks to eliminate PDF duplicates?

iBooks displays (lists) duplicates of many of my PDF files, which then also appear on my iDevices via iCloud Drive syncing. Deleting any one of the two file listings deletes both "copies." Adding even a revised version of the PDF file back to iBooks "resurrects" both listings, even when the updated file name, title and/or contents have been modified. In this case both, the older and the newer file will be listed separately and in icon view either the old cover, or a generic cover may appear. Double-clicking on either file, opens the same newer version. This is in-spite of the fact that only one file is present at

/Users/'USERNAME'/Library/Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService/Data/Documents/iBooks

Tried deleting all iBooks-related files and sub-folders in Preferences, Cookies and Containers folders, including the book files in BKAgentService and the hidden iCloud Drive/iBooks folders. Upon restart, all books are still listed, or the false duplicates will be listed after re-adding the PDFs. This, regardless of iBooks being enabled or disabled under iCloud Drive prefs.

How can I successfully reset iBooks and start from scratch without it "remembering" those duplicates and/or older metadata?

[The screenshot is of the duplicate listings (note differences in Author) and the hidden file folder (note NO duplicates there).]

User uploaded file

macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Apr 22, 2017 12:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2017 5:54 PM

OK, perhaps I didn't provide enough info...

This is what I did in my most-recent attempt to resolve this "duplicates/outdated" PDF files issue.

1. Deleted all ePub files from all devices (that includes Mac);

2. Deleted "Everywhere" all PDFs from all devices;

3. Turned iCloud Drive > iBooks OFF on all devices;

4. Deleted all the iBooks-related files and folders that I'm aware of (see screenshot);

4. Gave this setup 3-4 days to "sync" across everything.

User uploaded file

After turning iCloud Drive > iBooks ON and adding my PDFs to iBooks on Mac, unfortunately, it's back to the duplicate and outdated listing described in my OP. Obviously, there are more files or folders associated with iBooks that need to be deleted for a complete iBooks reset, but I don't know what they could possibly be. My suspicion is that they're actually stored on iClod Drive where I have no access to.

I'm out of ideas... Any other suggestions?

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2017 5:54 PM in response to Rysz

OK, perhaps I didn't provide enough info...

This is what I did in my most-recent attempt to resolve this "duplicates/outdated" PDF files issue.

1. Deleted all ePub files from all devices (that includes Mac);

2. Deleted "Everywhere" all PDFs from all devices;

3. Turned iCloud Drive > iBooks OFF on all devices;

4. Deleted all the iBooks-related files and folders that I'm aware of (see screenshot);

4. Gave this setup 3-4 days to "sync" across everything.

User uploaded file

After turning iCloud Drive > iBooks ON and adding my PDFs to iBooks on Mac, unfortunately, it's back to the duplicate and outdated listing described in my OP. Obviously, there are more files or folders associated with iBooks that need to be deleted for a complete iBooks reset, but I don't know what they could possibly be. My suspicion is that they're actually stored on iClod Drive where I have no access to.

I'm out of ideas... Any other suggestions?

May 3, 2017 10:23 AM in response to turingtest2

If I search my system drive for one of PDFs that is in the iBooks/iCloud library it turns out to be at iCloud Drive/iBooks, however even though I have hidden folders displayed I can only get there using open containing folder from search. When I look in iCloud Drive there is no iBooks folder.

This seems to be the active folder. When I renamed one of the files in at at first iBooks couldn't find it, then on the second attempt it got it with the new name and renamed the item in the library.

tt2

Apr 28, 2017 6:41 PM in response to Rysz

You probably have to delete everything out of iCloud first, checking each device that you have, delete all local storage related to iBooks, then try adding things back one at a time. In iTunes for Windows this is all much more visible as iBooks are part of the iTunes Media folder, but on a Mac it is all hidden, with no obvious option to create an alternate library or rebuild the one you have.

tt2

Apr 28, 2017 6:49 PM in response to turingtest2

You probably have to delete everything out of iCloud first, checking each device that you have, delete all local storage related to iBooks, then try adding things back one at a time.

That's exactly what I did, after spending numerous hours searching for all possible iBooks-related files. It just seems that there's more to it than any sources have publically disclosed. I did a really thorough search here and via Google and deleted absolutely everything anyone ever mentioned...

This inability to reset iBooks and start from scratch is absolutely driving me crazy!

Apr 28, 2017 7:07 PM in response to Rysz

I cannot even work out where the few PDFs I can see in my library are stored on the Mac. They've just come in from the cloud so they must be somewhere.

Aha, tracked them down to User/iCloud Drive/PDFs.

Nope, that is a separate collection I must have made. 😕

Can you create a new user profile and compare obvious differences between the two?

tt2

May 16, 2017 4:41 PM in response to Rysz

Glad I found this--it didn't seem solved to me. Have you gone into the icloud settings from system prefs and looked for the iBooks 'storage' on your icloud? When I was going through everything because of my horrible horrible icloud problems it appeared that ibooks is the only app that will permit one to 'delete documents and data' from within the system prefs portal. You may have to click on your apple id with picture & name to get these icloud settings, as there are currently icloud settings everywhere.

<Edited by Host>

How to reset iBooks to eliminate PDF duplicates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.