Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Glitch in Photos when cropping in edit mode (Macbook Pro)

Hello,

Photos: Versión 2.0 (3150.4.120)

MAC OS: Sierra 10.12.4

When i crop a photo it breaks badly: the result is a photo completely messed up, sometimes black background and/or with several broken replicas of the photo. Sometimes is mixed up with other photo of the library. The effect can be seen just after pressing "ok" in the thumbnail in the edit view and sometimes in the preview just after make the cropping.

Until now it happens with jpg files.

I think this is a bug, i couldn't find much about it in the web.

Is this bug acknowledge by apple?, is there a way to fix it?

User uploaded file

This is the result after exporting, in the Phtos app is the same.

Regards

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.4)

Posted on Apr 23, 2017 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2017 4:05 PM

Where is your Photos library located? If it's on an external HD how is that drive formatted and connected to your Mac?

Are these RAW or JPEG files? From what camera and model?

As a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Import some of the same photos you've had problems with in your current library and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it?

If it doesn't then your current library is the culprit. Try repairing the library according to the instructions in this Apple document: Repair Your Library.

WARNING: If you're using iCloud Photo Library with Photos, this action will cause Photos to upload all your pictures again (from Fix missing or incorrect thumbnails in Photos - Apple Support).

User uploaded file

92 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2017 4:05 PM in response to Alvahro

Where is your Photos library located? If it's on an external HD how is that drive formatted and connected to your Mac?

Are these RAW or JPEG files? From what camera and model?

As a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Import some of the same photos you've had problems with in your current library and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it?

If it doesn't then your current library is the culprit. Try repairing the library according to the instructions in this Apple document: Repair Your Library.

WARNING: If you're using iCloud Photo Library with Photos, this action will cause Photos to upload all your pictures again (from Fix missing or incorrect thumbnails in Photos - Apple Support).

User uploaded file

Apr 23, 2017 5:39 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your reply,

The library is located in ~/images/ the file it is call "Photos library" (in the macbook hard drive).

See image information below. Photos were taken from Samsung Note 5 cellphone.

First tried the repair library procedure, nothing.

Second tried sending the default library to trash and creating a new one. Issue remains.

Removed everything form this new library (it is a new laptop so i don't have any photos yet to permanently put in the library) and do the the repair again. The problem persist.

Isn't there another way to identify the problem?. Is weird that the repair or the creation of a new library haven't solved the problem.

User uploaded file

Apr 24, 2017 9:03 AM in response to Alvahro

Boot into Safe Mode, Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode, and try the library from there to see if the problem persists.

Download and run Etrecheck. Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

User uploaded file

Apr 24, 2017 12:51 PM in response to Old Toad

In Safe Mode problem persists.

Example cropped image:

User uploaded file

Etrecheck output (Why doesn't say anything about apps?):

EtreCheck version: 3.1.5 (343)

Report generated 2017-04-24 16:43:38

Download EtreCheck from https://etrecheck.com

Runtime 1:31

Performance: Excellent

Click the [Support] links for help with non-Apple products.

Click the [Details] links for more information about that line.

Problem: Other problem

Description:

Glitch in Photos app when cropping

Hardware Information:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

[Technical Specifications] - [User Guide] - [Warranty & Service]

MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro11,4

1 2,2 GHz Intel Core i7 (i7-4770HQ) CPU: 4-core

16 GB RAM Not upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0

8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM0

8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Good - Handoff/Airdrop2 supported

Wireless: en0: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac

Battery: Health = Normal - Cycle count = 2

Video Information:

Intel Iris Pro

Color LCD 2880 x 1800

System Software:

macOS Sierra 10.12.4 (16E195) - Time since boot: less than an hour

Disk Information:

APPLE SSD SM0256G disk0 : (251 GB) (Solid State - TRIM: Yes)

[Show SMART report]

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

Macintosh HD (disk1) / [Startup]: 249.80 GB (206.46 GB free)

Encrypted AES-XTS Unlocked

Core Storage: disk0s2 250.14 GB Online

USB Information:

Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

Broadcom Corp. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Thunderbolt Information:

Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Configuration files:

/etc/hosts - Count: 4

Gatekeeper:

Anywhere

System Launch Agents:

[not loaded] 6 Apple tasks

[loaded] 180 Apple tasks

[running] 96 Apple tasks

System Launch Daemons:

[not loaded] 42 Apple tasks

[loaded] 175 Apple tasks

[running] 100 Apple tasks

Launch Agents:

[loaded] com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist (2017-04-16) [Support]

[not loaded] com.teamviewer.teamviewer.plist (2017-04-17) [Support]

[not loaded] com.teamviewer.teamviewer_desktop.plist (2017-03-14) [Support]

Launch Daemons:

[loaded] com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist (2017-04-16) [Support]

[loaded] com.teamviewer.Helper.plist (2017-03-14) [Support]

[not loaded] com.teamviewer.teamviewer_service.plist (2017-04-17) [Support]

User Launch Agents:

[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist (2017-04-14) [Support]

[running] com.spotify.webhelper.plist (2017-04-24) [Support]

User Login Items:

iTunesHelper Aplicación (2017-04-13)

(/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunesHelper.app)

Android File Transfer Agent Aplicación

(~/Library/Application Support/Google/Android File Transfer/Android File Transfer Agent.app)

Internet Plug-ins:

QuickTime Plugin: 7.7.3 (2017-04-13)

JavaAppletPlugin: Java 8 Update 121 build 13 (2017-04-16) Check version

3rd Party Preference Panes:

Java (2016-12-13) [Support]

Time Machine:

Time Machine not configured!

Top Processes by CPU:

5% WindowServer

2% fontd

2% SafariDAVClient

1% kernel_task

0% Google Chrome Helper(8)

Top Processes by Memory:

1.09 GB Google Chrome Helper(8)

867 MB kernel_task

426 MB mdworker(12)

328 MB Google Chrome

229 MB MTLCompilerService(7)

Virtual Memory Information:

11.33 GB Available RAM

8.95 GB Free RAM

4.67 GB Used RAM

2.38 GB Cached files

0 B Swap Used

Diagnostics Information:

Apr 24, 2017, 04:38:46 PM Self test - passed

Apr 24, 2017 2:29 PM in response to Old Toad

I've downloaded the fotos again using File Transfer app (from Android) to the desktop (i don't see how to do it using Image Capture) and edited them with Preview and it worked fine. Tried to edit them again from Photos, same problem.

After move the cutting frame:

User uploaded file

After press ok (i latter circulate the broken thumbnail in red with Preview):

User uploaded file

May 15, 2017 11:00 AM in response to léonie

Léonie, the images are in perfect order. Editing them in Lr, Ps, On1RAW, Exposure, Affinity Photo AND iPhoto and Aperture creates perfect images as you would expect. The problem comes AFTER importing into Photos and CROPPING. Now you might say just crop in Ps and import into Photos to use as your catalogue. I have tried that but the nature of the display changes from day to day and images that pixelated yesterday mutate day by day. You've never seen such a thing.....User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

May 16, 2017 8:54 AM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie. Yes I downloaded and installed immediately. I deleted my existing library and created a new one. My first 3 edits were great, difficult to crop but great. 4th time unlucky in this case, back to the usual and this time not only as a result of cropping, same result when using spot healing tool. I also encountered the dreaded pixelisation again, which is there and then goes back to normal and then appears randomly again. My retailer says they are talking to Apple engineers, I hope they are. There has to be a solution. Apple Photos is not only a photo editor/library but is also needed for other operations on the Macs or in Sierra so it worries me beyond the mere use of photos that i may encounter further issues elsewhere in the system down the line. I already cannot use the search function in MS Outlook 365 which is something I've never encountered before. I worry I might have got a dud!

User uploaded file

May 19, 2017 10:43 PM in response to léonie

Léonie, yes confirmed. In every case the image can revert to original, be exported and is 100% ok. Editing in Ps or any other will be as expected, no issues. Going back to what i mentioned earlier, original .DNG and .NEF images imported into Photos and edited and cropped ONLY in Photos, worked and displayed correctly at times but randomly change nature of display, see screenshots from last night of excessively pixelated originally imported and edited images -

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

The MacBook Pro has other issues too -

Moshi Hub plugged in with a Sandisk image reader attached, but no card inserted yet, showing

User uploaded file

It is completely impossible.

Photos showing presence of external device when none was present and after several close/opens, force quits and restarts. This morning the external disk is not showing. The fans were not engaged and the machine was not warm (yet).

User uploaded file

There are too many problems with this MacBook Pro. I have spent almost 90 hours on these issues now and am no closer to resolution or an answer that i was at the start.

May 23, 2017 11:00 AM in response to rk_apple

Same problem here. Was thinking maybe 10.12.5 update would solve it. Not a chance. Even ran a stock image right off the Mac, and it hosed. There's a workaround involving rotating, closing, opening and rotating again. Pretty labor intensive and 100% effective. Also, the auto adjust for horizon lines doesn't work, and retouch shrinks the images and won't allow any corrections. Flummoxed, non-plussed, but far from alone.

User uploaded file

May 24, 2017 4:16 AM in response to nib56

Hello nib56. Thanks for your input. Maybe we should set up a FACEBOOK page to talk about this issue. We are not getting anywhere anyway! I bought my MacBook Pro from Digicape in Cape Town. I have dealt with them many years and bought a lot of machines from them.User uploaded file

Pixelised. The moment I click edit, the pixelisation resolves. Is this what I paid $4600 for ?

Glitch in Photos when cropping in edit mode (Macbook Pro)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.