Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID Migration (Is it possible?)

Over the last several months, perhaps even the year, I've noticed an increase in the amount of Junk mail that makes its way to my inbox. Now, I'm typically very careful about the accounts with which I use my Apple ID. I tend to stick with the most legitimate sources only (Amazon, Netflix, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.). I'm also careful about my privacy settings within social media to keep my email address private. For most of my commercial correspondence, like any other reasonable person, I use a stand alone Yahoo! account for spam and advertising emails.

Within iCloud I started moving junk, phishing, and spam messages into the Junk folder. According to other information I've read here, the Junk folder remembers what you place in it and creates an automatic filter to prevent messages from the same sender from being placed in my inbox.

In addition to the increase in the volume of unsolicited junk mail, that filter seems to have failed. I logged in and ALL of what should have been in my Junk folder was in my inbox. I've been redirecting it all back into the junk folder, however, I've actually had to create rules within my inbox for LEGITIMATE mail from reputable sources to be moved to folders I created to archive my regular messages. This has allowed me to log in to find only Junk in my inbox, and attempt to re-filter it by moving it to the Junk folder once again.

The problem with attempting to unsubscribe from some of this Junk mail is that many of these sources aren't actually going to remove my address from their mailing list; they will (as I have learned) use my attempt to unsubscribe as a validation that the email address is active. In that case I am assuming they continue to send mail, and sell the information of my valid email address to other solicitors, spammers, phishers, and the like.

With my options limited and my desire to manually filter junk mail existing only in the interest of preserving my Apple ID, my question now becomes, "What can I do?"

I feel like the email address is all but ruined. I've set up email forwarding from my inbox for legitimate messages to a Gmail account. I've created rules to segregate mail, and I continue to monitor my iCloud inbox activity, but I can't imagine that there will come a day when absolutely all junk mail will miraculously stop due to automatic and manual filters. I'd like to know if my Apple ID and all associated account information and access (iTunes, iCloud, etc.) can be migrated into a new Apple ID. I want to keep all of my current services and information, but assign a new username to it.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about creating an alias. Alias masking retains the same email address. I'm talking about an entirely new Apple ID that adopts all of my old information. A blank slate in many ways. Can it be done?

Kind regards,

-M.G.

iCloud Services-OTHER, iOS 10.3.1, Email

Posted on Apr 23, 2017 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2017 8:03 AM

are you saying that assigning me a completely new iCloud email address to use as my Apple ID would not be able to be linked, or be able to replace my old account and I would lose everything (purchase history, subscriptions, etc.).

Yes.

5 replies

Apr 23, 2017 9:13 PM in response to Kappy

@Kappy (TL;DR): The use of an email client over browser based cloud services may offer better filtering tools/spam mitigation.

Anyone else with longer attention spans and amicable dispositions,

I have discovered a few articles that outline significant advantages to using email clients over browser based web mail applications. Chief among those reasons is the ability of a client, specifically open source clients, to have better spam filters, thus achieving a higher degree of accuracy when identifying and eliminating junk mail in the client's inbox.

While this may address the issue of how junk mail is managed when comparing web-based applications vs desktop clients and mobile applications, it does not resolve the matter at its root.

Consequently, though convenient, the client-forced consolidation of email addresses forces the download of additional software rather than being able to rely on cloud services to mitigate local storage usage.

I'll be attempting this as a solution for now.

Kind regards,

-M.G.

Apple ID Migration (Is it possible?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.