Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my computer say "This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)" when I play a TV show in iTunes?

I'm not on a new computer or anything. I update my computer when it tells me to. I bought these TV shows in iTunes on this same computer. I've played these TV shows on this same computer for the past year. Why is my computer all of a sudden not playing my TV show and popping up with that message listed in the question?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), macOS Sierra (10.12.4)

Posted on Apr 23, 2017 8:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2017 9:12 AM

Tips for Fixing HDCP Errors playing iTunes Store HD Video/Movies:

I saw 4 reports of HDCP errors "This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)" when playing back purchased iTunes HD videos/movies after updating to iTunes 11.3.1. They were OK/able to playback iTunes HD content before the update they said, so assuming their display(s) were HDCP compatible. Most noted trying the usual 'zap the pram', reset smc, etc. (Re-detecting displays, disconnecting/reconnecting, verifying cables are OK/swapping cables are other common tips. And remember everything in the chain from source to the display has to be HDCP compliant, including any adapters or switches.)

If you're suddenly seeing HDCP errors with known HDCP compatible hardware and display (not just HD compatible), here are some possible causes, things to check and tips to try:

• First, try restarting the Mac/cycling power on the Display/TV.
  • Do you have Screen Sharing enabled? If so, disable it (in Apple menu > System Preferences > Sharing) as a test since it's been reported to cause HDCP errors.
    (Also check if Screen Sharing is enabled after upgrading to OS X 10.10 Yosemite)
  • Are you using any Screen Capture or Remote Desktop apps/utilities (or startup items) - if so disable/remove them, reboot and test again.
  • If using any other non-standard/USB Display related addons - remove them as a test.
    (Test w/o any other display related addons/connections other than a known HDCP monitor)
    (Also check for updates to any extensions after upgrading to OS X Yosemite)
  • If using Display Mirroring/Airplay, try only a single directly connected display.
  • If none of that applies and you're certain your display is HDCP compatible, try changing the display resolution to a lower setting (i.e. if a 1920x1200 display, try 1920x1080 (1080P), or less as a test). Seems like an odd tip, but some have said this solved the HDCP error problem and afterwards were able to change back to the native/higher resolution without HDCP errors. (Makes me wonder if there was a display prefs issue/corruption previously.)

In some cases nothing may help, and remember that older displays may not be HDCP compatible, including some older Apple Cinema Displays. (I saw some posts that seemed to think that if the display supported HD resolutions, it was also HDCP compliant - but that's not a given. Many older displays have native 1080P or higher resolution but do not support HDCP - aka High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection.)

(I previously listed Apple's support article on Apple TV and HDCP, but as of fall 2015 routes to "Get help with audio, video, or power on Apple TV" which finally had a section on "HDCP" added as of Jan 22, 2016.)

BTW: 4K DRM'd content will require (new) HDCP 2.2 support in the playback hardware. (Found only in some new Receivers, TVs, media players.)

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/aug14/080814.html

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2017 9:12 AM in response to Slytherin9

Tips for Fixing HDCP Errors playing iTunes Store HD Video/Movies:

I saw 4 reports of HDCP errors "This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)" when playing back purchased iTunes HD videos/movies after updating to iTunes 11.3.1. They were OK/able to playback iTunes HD content before the update they said, so assuming their display(s) were HDCP compatible. Most noted trying the usual 'zap the pram', reset smc, etc. (Re-detecting displays, disconnecting/reconnecting, verifying cables are OK/swapping cables are other common tips. And remember everything in the chain from source to the display has to be HDCP compliant, including any adapters or switches.)

If you're suddenly seeing HDCP errors with known HDCP compatible hardware and display (not just HD compatible), here are some possible causes, things to check and tips to try:

• First, try restarting the Mac/cycling power on the Display/TV.
  • Do you have Screen Sharing enabled? If so, disable it (in Apple menu > System Preferences > Sharing) as a test since it's been reported to cause HDCP errors.
    (Also check if Screen Sharing is enabled after upgrading to OS X 10.10 Yosemite)
  • Are you using any Screen Capture or Remote Desktop apps/utilities (or startup items) - if so disable/remove them, reboot and test again.
  • If using any other non-standard/USB Display related addons - remove them as a test.
    (Test w/o any other display related addons/connections other than a known HDCP monitor)
    (Also check for updates to any extensions after upgrading to OS X Yosemite)
  • If using Display Mirroring/Airplay, try only a single directly connected display.
  • If none of that applies and you're certain your display is HDCP compatible, try changing the display resolution to a lower setting (i.e. if a 1920x1200 display, try 1920x1080 (1080P), or less as a test). Seems like an odd tip, but some have said this solved the HDCP error problem and afterwards were able to change back to the native/higher resolution without HDCP errors. (Makes me wonder if there was a display prefs issue/corruption previously.)

In some cases nothing may help, and remember that older displays may not be HDCP compatible, including some older Apple Cinema Displays. (I saw some posts that seemed to think that if the display supported HD resolutions, it was also HDCP compliant - but that's not a given. Many older displays have native 1080P or higher resolution but do not support HDCP - aka High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection.)

(I previously listed Apple's support article on Apple TV and HDCP, but as of fall 2015 routes to "Get help with audio, video, or power on Apple TV" which finally had a section on "HDCP" added as of Jan 22, 2016.)

BTW: 4K DRM'd content will require (new) HDCP 2.2 support in the playback hardware. (Found only in some new Receivers, TVs, media players.)

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/aug14/080814.html

Why does my computer say "This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)" when I play a TV show in iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.