You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot re-install my Photoshop CS4 on my Mac. It is a Maveric platform. HELP!!!

Cannot re-install my Photoshop Creative Premium suite ( CS$) on my iMac... I am running the Maverick platform... can anyone help me??? Many thanks, Judi Dunn

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Apr 24, 2017 11:29 AM

15 replies

Apr 25, 2017 10:28 AM in response to judi6jwDfB dunn

Official Adobe support for all components of CS4 ended in 2013. Roaring Apps is a user to user database and as such it's prone to inaccuracies, take it with a grain of salt. Adobe does not in any sense of the word support CS4 in Mac OS Sierra. Photoshop CSx can show signs of stability in an OS it was not intended to work in and depending on your workflow and pipeline other Adobe CSx products might show similar stability but they are not supported in any way/shape/form through Adobe any longer even in the OS's they were intended to run in.

however if you are tying a clean install of CS4 and being thwarted before the installer kicks off it could be the signature that the gatekeeper is looking for predates Adobes provision of one. See the first part of this post on Gatekeeper and legacy products.

Anatomy of OS X's Gatekeeper and Phony (and legitimate) Installers

if you don't wish to purchase a supported version of Adobe Creative Cloud there are alternatives, some free and some not free.

e.g.

GIMP (free)

https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Affinity Photo (not free)

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

similarly there are a number free and non free alternatives to most if not all the Adobe Creative Clouds "suite" of offerings.

Apr 25, 2017 9:44 AM in response to judi6jwDfB dunn

What exactly is the problem?

I have Adobe CS4 Design Premium installed on OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks and it is working on my late 2009 iMac.

Give us as much info about your Mac hardware as possible.

What year and model Mac?

How much RAM installed?

How much free data storage space on the Mac's hard drive?

Are you installing from the original Adobe CS4 discs?

Apr 25, 2017 9:48 AM in response to judi6jwDfB dunn

... Well, I upgraded to sierra... and still cannot install CS4... .. I have 8 RAM and ... 27' IMAC. and love it... I am trying Photoshop CC but hate haveing to learn so many things ... I am installing from the original discs, and have plenty of storage.. with Sierra...I guess Adobe just is greedy and will not let older Photoshops run.. I am using an external hard drive to install.. I guess I am going to be forced to but a new app for Photoshop. canot stand Lightroom, tho others love it.. Many thanks, can you see any answer here? Judi D.

Apr 25, 2017 10:13 AM in response to judi6jwDfB dunn

I don't think Adobe CS4 will run on macOS Sierra.

Full Adobe CS4 support ended with OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks.

See this website.

http://roaringapps.com/apps

The only Adobe CS4 app still supported on macOS Sierra is Photoshop CS4.

If you stayed on OS X 10.9 Mavericks, Adobe CS4 would have been fine.

This is why before upgrading a computer operating system and especially a Mac operating system you need to backup/system clone to a seperate external drive, so that if you find that something isn't working on a new operating system, you can easliy return back to your original setup prior to upgrading your Mac OS.

If you want to return to OS X 10.9 Mavericks to use your Adobe CS4 software, again, there is a way to that, but the doing is far more involved now to revert back to OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

Apr 25, 2017 10:56 AM in response to MichelPM

It was originally installed on Lion I believe then I upgraded to Marveick and stil had it... then the other day 50% of my filters were missing! that is when I uninstalled it and tried to re install in ... still on Maverick.. nothing. so then I upgraded to Sierra and thought that might help , but no. I am just on trial for Photoshop CC and it si okay ... I have been doinf photoshop since 2004! thanks for all you help, you have been great. Judi DD.

Apr 25, 2017 11:12 AM in response to MichelPM

works fine, supported no. I never said it doesn't work because don't use that one any longer. My statment is Adobe pulled support for CS4 in 2013 and if you had a problem after that Adobes reponse would be "upgrade to CS5", "upgrade to CS6" "upgrade to CC201...17"

I do have a mix of CS5, CS6 and CC deployed to over a dozen designers all running in various Mac OS's and the suites can be finicky depending on workflow of a specific user. I have contracted support with Adobe, they wont give me time of day if I speak the words "Creative Suite"- Adobe does not support any Suite products any longer, but working on someones system is a "your milage may vary" situation - for the most part Photoshop seems to be the more stable of the Creative Stooge suite, it is the "Larry" of the three.

Apr 25, 2017 11:21 AM in response to judi6jwDfB dunn

Good Luck to You.

I am an over 20 year verteran of Adobe, but I completely loathe Adobe CC subscription/conscription program.

If you ever want to go back to OS X 10.9 Mavericks and Adobe CS4, it is doable, just more work.

If you don't really want to pay Adobe on a monthly basis, I beg of you to look at Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer

These apps are great! The are cheap! AND you pay ONE TIME! No monthy susbscription fee.

I have been using these apps along with Adobe CS4 (trying to wiene my self off of using Adobe apps for good) and Serif Labs Affinity apps are really good and are NOT really that expensive for what you are paying for in what these apps offer.

Plus, Serif has a nearly 500 page hard cover workbook to get you up and running on Affinity Designer right away!

This hard cover workbook exercise book is pretty awesome and easy to follow.

Much better than any tutorial books Adobe ever put out over the years and I have LOTS O' THESE!

Again,

Good Luck!

Apr 25, 2017 11:35 AM in response to MichelPM

I support this crazy software but I did not buy it. The best part is after the designers had the company pay for it and I installed it on out of the box high end iMacs turns out it's slower than CS5 and CS6 in almost all respects.

And the licensing is up in a few months so they get to buy all the copies again at $900 a year per seat. I know the petition to make it a one time purchase blew past 50,000 signatures but Adobe has never flinched. Even MS caved with the plan for a subscription only Office in like a week.

Apr 25, 2017 12:33 PM in response to MichelPM

It was originally installed on Lion I believe then I upgraded to Marveick and stil had it... then the other day 50% of my filters were missing! that is when I uninstalled it and tried to re install in ... still on Maverick.. nothing. so then I upgraded to Sierra and thought that might help , but no. I am just on trial for Photoshop CC and it si okay ... I have been doinf photoshop since 2004! thanks for all you help, you have been great. Judi DD.

Apr 25, 2017 12:36 PM in response to MichelPM

Michel.... I now hate Adobe as well. They are just greedy ...I did just download Affinity... It is interesting and I will work with it although it is hard to teach an old dog (76) new tricks... but I will persevere ... You would think some other firms would get with the program... money to be made in this area. I could never get Gimp up and running... it is just not me week ... Many thanks for all of your help! Best wishes, Judi D.

Cannot re-install my Photoshop CS4 on my Mac. It is a Maveric platform. HELP!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.