Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setup Yahoo Mail on Mac w or w/o (2 step verification)

I have 2 step authentication and this is how I set it up on my MacBook, I imagine this will work for non 2 step folks too. I haven't found any great walkthrough on setting it up, so I decided to share this with everyone.

I don't have mail plus or paid extra, I'm just a regular free mail user. I'll take you through the steps I took to get it working. This may change in the future if yahoo decide to change their login. But it's has been the same for the past few years I been using yahoo mail on my mac.

1. Login to your yahoo mail on mail.yahoo.com

2. Hover over (you may have to click on it) the "gear icon" (you may have to click on it) on the top right

3. Select/Click on "Account Info"

4. You'll be taken to another page, on the left side click on "Account Security"

5. You may have to re-login again

6. Scroll down to "Manage app passwords" and click on it

7. On the drop down select your application you're trying to setup, mine was "Mac Mail"

8. Click "Generate"

9. Copy the password (*note there is a space behind the last character as well, so copy that too)

10. Open you "Mail" app

11. On the very top left (next to apple logo), Click on "Mail", scroll down to "Accounts" and click on it

12. *Note - Delete the Yahoo account if you have made one previously and it didn't work

13. Click on the "+" to create a new account

14. Select "Yahoo!"

15. Fill in your info, "Name" "Full email address"

16. On the "password field" use the "password you generated from mail.yahoo.com", there is where you paste it in - *note that I sometimes have to include the space behind the last character for it to work, try with and without

17. Now you should see Yahoo added to your Inbox to the left column, we are almost done!

18. On the very top left (next to apple logo), Click on "Mail", scroll down to "Preferences" and click on it

19. Click on "Accounts tab"

20. Make sure your "yahoo mail is highlighted" on the first column, should be since thats the last email we setup

21. While Account Information is highlighted, change all "user name and email to your full email with @yahoo.com" added

22. Click on "Advanced"

23. Make sure IMAP Path Prefix : imap.mail.yahoo.com

24. Make sure Port: 993

25. Use SSL is clicked

26 Click on General on to top of all the tabs, then save the changes

DONE! You should have yahoo mail working on your Mac and I know its pretty long winded but this is a complete walk through for someone that is not familiar with advance settings. I hope everyone enjoy this and works for you.

Posted on Apr 25, 2017 9:22 AM

1 reply

Setup Yahoo Mail on Mac w or w/o (2 step verification)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.