Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need Info to repair broken power switch connector on logic board

Hi folks,
I had some bad luck this week. The power switch connector broke off my daughter's Ibook logic board during a HD upgrade attempt. Unfortunately, it pulled enough of the etch that I can't determine where the connections use to go.

I would like to salvage the board. So, if anyone has access to a schematic for the G3 Ibook, 14" 900Mz logic board, I would appreciate some info about the circuit. Specifically, to what components does the switch connect. I already identified one side is grounded and the other side is pulled up to 3V through a 1K resistor, but that etch also went somewhere else. I suppose the gate of a FET transistor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Perhaps someone with a dead logic board could trace the circuit with an ohm meter.

Regards,
Spencer

ibook g3 900mHz, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Dec 30, 2006 8:48 PM

2 replies

Dec 31, 2006 5:57 PM in response to Spencer Lovette

Hi spencer,

Apple doesn't make circuit diagrams available, sorry. I've done or had done component level repairs of iBook logic boards before, usually to re-attach connectors which have come off, but unlike yours, these ones have all come off leaving the trace on the board.

The fact the traces have come off isn't good, as you can probably tell. It's also a 4 layer board, so where the vias go is important. I have a couple of dead logic boards from 500,600 and 700mhz iBooks. The 14 inch logic boards are essentially the same as the 12 inch ones. These pictures are of the area of a 700mhz logic board.

http://theducks.org/pictures/ibook-logic-board-top.JPG
http://theducks.org/pictures/ibook-logic-board-bottom.JPG

Hope it helps.

Need Info to repair broken power switch connector on logic board

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.