Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I download a Facebook messenger audio file?

A loved one recorded an audio message on Facebook messenger for me; it looks like the image below. I'm trying to download it, but nearly all of the ways to capture it don't see that the file exists, and the one exception to that downloaded a file that nothing can open.

Can someone please tell me how to download this file such that it can be played? Thanks!User uploaded file

OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 26, 2017 7:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2017 4:06 PM

I was able to get assistance with this on a different forum. I will include the answers I was given, both of which worked, because I'm sure someone else will eventually have this question:

Instead of downloading the audio file, you can use an audio grabber to record it during playback. The one I used was: Piezo.

https://rogueamoeba.com/piezo/

Or, while using Safari:

Method 1

1. Go to the chat that contains the audiofile you want on Facebook's Messenger Website,or the Facebook message area.
  2. Open the
    Develop -> Show Web Inspector
  3. Go to the
    Network
    tab
  4. Go back to the the chat and press the "Play" button of the file you want to download
  5. If you go back to the
    Network
    tab you'll notice that a
    audioclip-xxxxxxxxxxxxx-xxxx.aac
    audio file has been loaded. (but with digits instead of x's)
  6. Double click on the file and it should automatically download to your
    ~/Downloads
    folder

Method 2

1. Go to the chat that contains the audiofile you want on Facebook's Messenger Website,or the Facebook message area.
  2. Open the
  3. Go to the
    Resources
    tab
  4. Go back to the the chat and press the "Play" button of the file you want to download
  5. If you go back to the
    Resources
    , inside the
    Other
    folder, you'll notice that a
    ~/Downloads
    folder
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2017 4:06 PM in response to ImaSoCalGal

I was able to get assistance with this on a different forum. I will include the answers I was given, both of which worked, because I'm sure someone else will eventually have this question:

Instead of downloading the audio file, you can use an audio grabber to record it during playback. The one I used was: Piezo.

https://rogueamoeba.com/piezo/

Or, while using Safari:

Method 1

2. Open the
  3. Go to the
    Network
    tab
  5. If you go back to the
    Network
    tab you'll notice that a
    ~/Downloads
    folder

Method 2

2. Open the
  3. Go to the
    Resources
    tab
  5. If you go back to the
    Resources
    , inside the
    Other
    folder, you'll notice that a
    ~/Downloads
    folder

Sep 27, 2017 5:59 PM in response to ImaSoCalGal

Hi,

I am not too sure if Iam late to this party but I was able to do what you wanted to do by going to this url:-

https://m.facebook.com/messages

Access this url via chrome and log in -> Select your message that the audio file is in -> Go to file section -> In chrome there should be a download image on the right side (end of the audio file lin) which should allow you to download it.

Other way is to right click on the audio file and you should get a menu list and an option within it that states ' Save audio as'.

That's what helped me. I hope this will help you too.

Cheers.

How do I download a Facebook messenger audio file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.