Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snapchat Mysteriously Using Data

As many know, Snapchat can be a real data hog if one is not careful on how it's used. To minimize cellular data usage on my kid's phone (she's on a limited data plan), I've (1) turned off all background notifications and (2) turned off cellular usage for Snapchat. In fact, as a test, I turned off cellular data usage for all apps except Find My iPhone. I also set Snapchat's Travel Mode on.

Here's the stumper: After I reset the cellular stats, my daughter fired up Snapchat on the phone. This was done while the phone was connected to WiFi. After about 15 minutes of use, I checked the Cellular data use and, lo and behold, beside the Snapchat app, it logged about 700k of data use! And this with the cell use turned off for that app.

My question is how would an app use cellular data with the app's switch turned off? Second question, aside from totally turning cellular data use off globally, which kinda defeats the purpose of having cellular data in the first place, how can one turn off data use for SnapChat?

iPhone 5s, iOS 10.3.1

Posted on Apr 27, 2017 11:18 AM

7 replies

Apr 27, 2017 12:01 PM in response to RJ604

RJ604 wrote:

Second question, aside from totally turning cellular data use off globally, which kinda defeats the purpose of having cellular data in the first place, how can one turn off data use for SnapChat?

For troubleshooting purpose, try turning off cellular data. See if Snapchat cellular data usage still increases with cellular data disabled. If it stops using cellular data, you have a solution (although not an ideal one). I always turn off my cellular data manually when I'm using WiFi.

Jul 9, 2017 2:04 PM in response to RJ604

I have this EXACT same problem with my Daughter's phone! I've done everything that people have suggested in this string, but it's still happening.. And I have the same problem with Facebook.

I sure hope someone comes up with other ideas

CORRECTION - I have not done a *global* turn off of Cellular Data - that was a great idea. Unfortunately my daughter was here visiting and is now gone.

Snapchat Mysteriously Using Data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.