Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't send email with mac mail on TWC

I know this has been a problem in the past but none of the posts I found were recent and none of the solutions worked. I spent hours on the phone and in online chats with Time Warner/Spectrum today but it seems none of their help desk reps are trained on macs. I have also searched for solutions on the Internet. According to TWC all my settings are correct. I have an iMac and have not had problems with mail until recently when people started complaining about not getting my mail. As of today I can't send any mail. I've been through all the settings I can find and nothing has worked. I run a home business, so I keep all my client emails and can't just change email clients. Any suggestions?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), null

Posted on Apr 28, 2017 2:40 PM

10 replies

Apr 28, 2017 4:01 PM in response to cahvah

Is it POP or IMAP?

Are these your settings?

Macintosh OSX Mail

1. Click the Mail icon in the Menu bar.
  2. Select Preferences from the Mail dropdown. User uploaded file
  3. In Preferences, click the Accounts icon. User uploaded file
  4. Click + at the bottom of the Accounts list to create a new account. User uploaded file
  5. Enter your Full Name, Email Address and Password.
  6. Click Continue.
  7. Select POP or IMAP in the Account Type dropdown. Note: IMAP leaves messages on the server so multiple devices and email clients can access the messages and the messages still remain on the server. POP downloads the messages onto a client.
  8. Enter your server settings:
  9. POP settings:

Account Type: POP or POP3
Incoming Mail Server: mail.twc.com
Incoming Server - POP3 port: 110
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): mail.twc.com
Outgoing Server - SMTP port: 587
Inbound & Outbound User Name: Enter full email address
johndoe@[division].rr.com
johndoe@roadrunner.com
johndoe@twc.com
Inbound & Outbound Password: Email Password (same as Web Mail)
SMTP Server Requires Authentication: Checked

IMAP settings:

Account Type: IMAP
Incoming Mail Server: mail.twc.com
Incoming Server –IMAP port: 143
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): mail.twc.com
Outgoing Server – SMTP port: 587
Inbound & Outbound User Name: Enter full email address
johndoe@[division].rr.com
johndoe@roadrunner.com
johndoe@twc.com).
Inbound & Outbound Password: Email Password (same as Web Mail)
SMTP Server Requires Authentication: Checked

1. Click Continue.
  2. Check Take account online and click Create. User uploaded file
  3. To get new messages, click the Mail icon in the upper left corner. User uploaded file
  4. To edit your account information, select Preferences from the Mail dropdown.
  5. Click the Accounts icon and select the email account you want to edit.
  6. To edit the POP Server Address, enter the correct address in the Incoming Mail Server field. Note: If you delete the POP Account settings, all of the email associated with the account will be deleted. To edit the SMTP Address, click Edit SMTP Server List in the Outgoing Mail Server dropdown.
  7. Double click on the SMTP Server Address for the account you want to edit and enter the correct address.
  8. Click on the Advanced tab to make changes to the SMTP Port and set up SMTP Authentication. User uploaded file
  9. When finished, click OK.

Apr 28, 2017 6:27 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you for your response. It is POP. Incoming POP is port 995. I have been through this setup about 6 times already today. The settings all seem to be right. I even just installed Sierra in case the mail program had corrupted, but it's the same thing all over. I do not want to create a new account because Ihave all my business accounts in my email and don't want to have to copy everything to a new account.

Apr 29, 2017 12:13 PM in response to cahvah

Just checking, since it's 995, do you have SSL checked?

The Password rejection can confuse people since it's a catch all meaning...

This Password, Username, Authentication method... is not recognized on this Port to this Server, or a server end problem.

Or duplicate entries in Keychain Access.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but one of the other ones.

The receiving email ports are:

IMAP is port 143

IMAP-SSL is port 993

POP is port 110

POP-SSL is port 995

Outgoing ports are...

SMTP and SMTP-SSL is on ports 25, 587 and 465. Port 587 has to be SSL, and port 465 is enforced TLS-wrapped and is generally used by Outlook users.

Aug 31, 2017 6:28 PM in response to cahvah

HMMM

As of 20170827 I do not seem to be able to setup a new POP receiving account in mail using the Spectrum - TWC documented settings for port 110.

Attempted it on at least half a dozen tries over a four hour period.

The following occurs.

I ran a similar log for a POP receiving account for earthlink and it appears to me that all the login traffic is "missing" after the CAPA read - my question is - is mail at fault for NOT providing the proper user and password responses at this point - or is the twc mail server.

This account is presently working just fine with an IMAP receiving account in mail.

SMTP for sending is working just fine also in mail.

INITIATING CONNECTION Aug 25 11:54:38.755 host:mail.twc.com -- port:110 -- socket:0x0 -- thread:0x############[thread numbers removed]

CONNECTED Aug 25 11:54:38.796 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelNone] -- host:mail.twc.com -- port:110 -- socket:0x6080004affc0 -- thread:0x############

READ Aug 25 11:54:38.838 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelNone] -- host:mail.twc.com -- port:110 -- socket:0x6080004affc0 -- thread:0x############

+OK InterMail POP3 server ready.

WROTE Aug 25 11:54:38.838 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelNone] -- host:mail.twc.com -- port:110 -- socket:0x6080004affc0 -- thread:0x############

CAPA

READ Aug 25 11:54:38.880 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelNone] -- host:mail.twc.com -- port:110 -- socket:0x6080004affc0 -- thread:0x############

+OK Capability list follows

USER

RESP_CODES

PIPELINING

EXPIRE NEVER

UIDL

IMPLEMENTATION Openwave Email vM.8.04.03.24 201-2389-100-172-20151028

WROTE Aug 25 11:54:38.881 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelNone] -- host:mail.twc.com -- port:110 -- socket:0x6080004affc0 -- thread:0x############

QUIT

Nov 25, 2017 5:19 PM in response to cahvah

I am also having problems with Time Warner Cable with experiences similar to yours. I believe it is the cable company. I was told that because I was a Bright House customer, not everyone who was switched to Spectrum has been updated completely and I have had nothing but problems. Tonight it will not accept my password for my sub account and I can't get into my mail. Sometimes incoming mail is denied access to my e-mail, sometimes mail just disappears after it does come in--totally random. I went over all the settings three times in the last month with their technicians and everything works for a short while, then it reverts to a complete psychiatric breakdown!! Not only am I having these problems in Mac Mail, but also in the site for Spectrum mail. Glad to see you are online again, but don't count on it lasting. I am going to delete all my cookies and plists for mail and see if that helps--good luck all--I still think this is a Spectrum/TWC problem!

Can't send email with mac mail on TWC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.