Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reopen/recover all deleted tabs on Safari?

I forgot that when you hit 'Clear History and Website Data' in the settings, it deletes all tabs you had open on safari... is there a way to get all those tabs that I had opened back? I had around 90 of them and some were very important.

iPad Air 2

iOS 10.3.1

thanks

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 10.0.2, Need help

Posted on Apr 28, 2017 9:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2017 10:08 PM

[If you had "about 90" tabs open in Safari, then you're doing some wrong...]

Anyway, the only way to "restore" them would be from a backup that was made at just the right time (i.e., when all those tabs were still part of your Safari app history state).

7 replies

Sep 16, 2017 3:56 PM in response to V-FOR-VICTOR

I'm in the same position, and, no, it doesn't mean you're doing something wrong. Some of us have a lot of tabs open because we need to access some information very quickly, without trawling through bookmarks.

Anyway, having reorganised all my open tabs today, so that they're together in blocks according to my research subjects, later this evening, I've suddenly only got 7 tabs open and all else has disappeared. Some of those tabs have been sitting there for weeks, and you'd think that if there's a way to remove them, there should also be a way to restore them.

Did you get any further with it?

Kindest regards,

Angel

Apr 29, 2017 6:43 PM in response to V-FOR-VICTOR

V-FOR-VICTOR wrote:

I forgot that when you hit 'Clear History and Website Data' in the settings, it deletes all tabs you had open on safari... is there a way to get all those tabs that I had opened back? I had around 90 of them and some were very important.

Going forward, you should consider book marking sites that are important to you. That way, you will be able to refer to them even after closing the tabs.

Sep 16, 2017 5:30 PM in response to angel_153

angel_153 wrote:

I'm in the same position, and, no, it doesn't mean you're doing something wrong. Some of us have a lot of tabs open because we need to access some information very quickly, without trawling through bookmarks.

The problem with that workflow is that taps are not intended to be permanent. So, although I wouldn't say you're doing something wrong, you are using Safari in a way different from intended and that's likely to have consequences. Do what makes sense to you. But bookmark things just in case.

Keep in mind that you can also set a bookmark for a group of tabs and name it whatever you like.

Best of luck.

Sep 27, 2017 9:08 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks, Idris, yes, I'm fully aware of folders and bookmarks 🙂 I do a huge amount of medical research, and I have hundreds of folders and subfolders.

If Safari isn't designed to leave x number of tabs open semi-permanently, they shouldn't have extended the number of tabs you can have open at the same time on the Air 2. The original Air had only a limited number of tabs, and your 'New Tab' option was greyed out once you'd reached that number. I can't remember how many it was, but I think it was around 50, or maybe 100. Air 2 gives you new tabs up to x250, so it hardly seems fair that it doesn't seem to like having tabs open either in quantity or for any length of time. My Air 2 is 128gb, so it isn't like storage is an issue.

Mine were all absolutely fine until I started re-organising them in blocks after a particularly diverse research session. Then it deleted most - not all, it left me the last seven - of them. It's never happened before, and it hasn't happened since. I haven't bothered re-organising open tabs in the pinch-screen, where it shows you a whole screen of open pages when you pinch any Safari page, I just move tabs individually.

It must be a glitch.

Kindest regards,

Angel 153

Nov 24, 2017 1:20 PM in response to parcan64

Backups are saved in either iCloud or iTunes on a computer and when your iDevice is plugged in and connected to iTunes on a computer, backups are located by date under the Restore Backup button.

If you haven’t been doing any type of regular backups, the answer/solution you seek may STILL NOT BE available.

Good Luck to You!

How to reopen/recover all deleted tabs on Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.