Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Windows 10 Option on Boot Camp, Only 7 and 8

So recently I've wanted to install Windows 10 onto my mid 2011 iMac, which is running macOS Sierra, version 10.12.4. After learning how to install it, I opened up Boot Camp Assistant, version 6.1.0.

However, while it was supposed to (or at least I think it was) allow me to download Windows 7 or later, it only appeared to allow me to choose 7 or 8. For example, while one of the checkbox options is supposed to read "Install or remove Windows 7 or later version" (something like that), it only says "Install or remove Windows 7 or Windows 8", not giving me an option for Windows 10.

As I most definitely want to install Windows 10, because that's the version I have a product key for, I searched for a solution, but did not succeed in finding one, so I decided to ask myself.

If any more information is needed to help figure this problem out, I will happily provide.

Thanks!

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), macOS Sierra (10.12.4), Boot Camp Assistant Issues

Posted on May 1, 2017 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2017 8:09 PM

Your 2011 Mac should be using the built-in Optical drive and a physical DVD, which means that this file must be added to the W8.1 ISO and burned to a physical DVD. If you put this file on a USB flash drive, it will not work.

15 replies

May 2, 2017 8:26 AM in response to Turner-Garnettes

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer or by using the developer’s uninstall instructions. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About El Capitan also Sierra

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan. also Sierra

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

May 2, 2017 6:04 PM in response to Eric Root

I initially tried creating a new profile as you said, and made sure to disable Back-to-My Mac and make it an admin user. However, when I opened Boot Camp Assistant in the new profile, the problem persisted.

I then tried the Safe Mode method, yet it again persisted.

I was about to try your third method of disabling/deleting certain third party application, but was unclear as to how to do so. I don't know which application to use, and I am not sure what instructions (referring to the "developer's uninstall instructions") you mentioned were. If you have a direct link, or something more specific I could search for, I would appreciate it greatly.

May 2, 2017 6:23 PM in response to Turner-Garnettes

You can install W8.1 and leave it unactivated, but fully functional. Upgrade to W10 in-place, and then use the W10 Product key to activate. Once W10 is installed and activated, the licensing signature of your Mac is registered with Microsoft.

Please be aware that any re-installation of W10 must also follow this method, otherwise you will not have proper working drivers that W8.1 provides.

May 2, 2017 8:33 PM in response to Loner T

So I have mounted the iso file and, since it was created as read only, I copied everything into a new folder and then put the ei.cfg file into the sources folder. However, now I am confused as to how to turn this into an iso, and if I will need to reinstall Windows 8.1 with the new iso.

I am new to this area of things, so if I'm doing this correctly so far, please let me know, and if you are aware of how to fulfill what I am trying to do, let me know of that as well.

May 3, 2017 2:47 PM in response to Loner T

What I did was I mounted the original iso file and copied everything from it into another folder so I could edit it. I then used textEdit to create the ei.cfg file, and pasted it into the sources folder of the folder I created. Then I used a terminal command to turn the folder into another iso file and named it "Win8.1_English_x64.iso". I then used the new iso when installing Windows 8.1, but the product key screen still appeared despite this.

No Windows 10 Option on Boot Camp, Only 7 and 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.