Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keyboard - letter E and A wearing off - 2016 macbookpro 15 inch

Hi all,

I upgraded my beloved late 2013 13inch macbook pro to the 15 inch 2016 touchbar macbook pro.

I have come across something that I am deeply worried about after 5 months. Over the 4 years I owned the macbook pro 13 inch, I never had this problem, and I don't think my usage has changed dramatically.

The black paint on my key seems to be wearing off and so my letters are starting to become white blobs ... particularly on the A and E. How pro is that!!!!

How is this possible? Has anyone else found this phenomena? What would be the point of having such a wonderful keyboard if I have to cover it up to protect it form wear?

Cheers.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS Sierra (10.12.4), The Keyboard is wearing off!!!!!!

Posted on May 1, 2017 9:01 PM

11 replies

Jul 3, 2017 1:51 PM in response to s327374

I had my keyboard replaced after just three months but I noticed the N and M are showing signs of disappearing again, seven months later. Apple were going to charge me £250 to replace the keyboard as they said the warranty didnt cover it and its now just over a year old. Does anyone know how to stop the letters rubbing off? I've tried a silicone cover and it's awful to type with. Or is there someone who replaces just a couple of keys, apple said it wasn't possible on the Macbook whereas it was with the PRO.

Dec 26, 2017 5:57 PM in response to s327374

Yea, my letter N, and portions of D,B,R,E are starting to fall away. I've had it right at three years.

I've had well over 30+ laptops, a handful had this issue, some the whole keyboard would fade away, others would disintegrate the letters. The rest were fine.

It's got to be an Apple quality control or sourcing thing, I've seen no personal rhyme or reason.

Feb 7, 2018 8:12 AM in response to DeMinister

Might as well chime in with a "me too" ... 2016 of 15" MBP 'touch bar' model that is at this point just over a year old & I've got parts of the A, S, M, and N all missing the black around the letter shapes to greater or lesser degrees. I remember this happening too on much older models before when the silver key tops would eventually wear away, but like at about the 3 year mark, this is really disappointing. =-(

Feb 7, 2018 8:35 AM in response to CaptainBlighPA

As long as you are chiming in, I will too - with a note of caution.

Make sure that you don't take your machine in for repair unless it is seriously broken or unusable. If the problem is just cosmetic, leave it. Apple doesn't just pop off keys and replace them, they disassemble the entire machine, remove the logic board, and replace the entire keyboard. The new MacBook Pros have different keyboards and individual keys are impossible to replace. But even with the old keyboards, Apple never replaces keys, the replace the entire thing.

How do I know this? Well, when my trusty 2011 MacBook Pro was almost out of (AppleCare) warranty, I had a few keys that were turning white too. I took it in and it came back like it was brand new. But after a while, some of the keys stopped working. They would work if I pounded it hard enough, but I eventually stopped using that machine for most things.

Finally, I gave up and bought myself a $30 keyboard on e-bay. I spent the better part of two hours disassembling the entire machine and replacing the keyboard. Those connectors are super tiny. There were almost 100 screws in total. Now the keyboard works great. But the old keyboard was clearly a used part. I can see why the keys didn't work. They keyboard obviously had liquid damage. I can see it. I can assure you that I never did that.

If you take your machine in for warranty repair, you are essentially taking in a used machine, not a new one. Apple may replace parts with used parts. Maybe they will be better than the parts you had. Maybe not.

keyboard - letter E and A wearing off - 2016 macbookpro 15 inch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.