Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I retrieve deleted text messages from iPhone 5s?

I looked on Google and it said to download phone rescue software and turn off two-step verification, but my iPhone 5s doesn't have two-step verification. Help!

iPhone 5s, iOS 10.0.1

Posted on May 2, 2017 9:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2017 9:51 PM

The only way to retrieve deleted Messages is to erase your device and restore it to an iCloud backup that was made prior to the time you deleted the Messages. Remember, that this will restore your device to look exactly the way it did at the time the backup was made. Any changes made since then would be overwritten:

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups - Apple Support

Best of luck,

GB

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2017 9:51 PM in response to britishchick

The only way to retrieve deleted Messages is to erase your device and restore it to an iCloud backup that was made prior to the time you deleted the Messages. Remember, that this will restore your device to look exactly the way it did at the time the backup was made. Any changes made since then would be overwritten:

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups - Apple Support

Best of luck,

GB

May 2, 2017 9:49 PM in response to britishchick

Don't need to turn off two-factor or downloading any software. Just restore your iPhone backup from iCloud or iTunes (if you have one). It will restore all your messages.

Please find relevant resources below.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

How to check if you have an iCloud backup on your iPhone:

settings -> iCloud -> tap on storage -> Manage storage -> here you can find backups if you have one in iCloud

iTunes on Windows: Click edit on menu bar -> preferences -> devices -> here you can find any backups of your iPhone

iTunes on Mac: Click on iTunes on menu bar -> preferences -> devices -> here you can find any backups of your iPhone

Syam

May 3, 2017 12:13 AM in response to britishchick

Any software that wants you to turn off 2 step verification will likely hack your phone. DON'T EVEN TRY.

You can only retrieve deleted texts by restoring a backup made before the texts were deleted. But restoring a backup will overwrite everything on your phone, not just messages.

If you don't have an iTunes backup or an iCloud backup there is no way to retrieve deleted messages.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.