Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone in recovery mode can't update and restore

User uploaded file

My iPhone stopped working about two weeks ago. It suddenly turned off and when i tried turning it on it would only turn on till the apple logo came out and then it would turn off, it's been on a loop. I put my iPhone into recovery mode.After doing some research i saw that i had to connect it into iTunes and update it and restore it. When i tried updating it, it took longer than 15 minutes and when it takes longer than 15 minutes it automatically turns off and exits recovery mode.(iTunes will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3. - iTunes) so my other last option was to restore it. So i connected my phone back into iTunes to restore it since i couldn't update it. So i tried clicking the option to just restore since i can't update it, but it only gave me the option to "restore and update" not the single option to just restore. So now i'm out of options since i must update it if i have to restore my iPhone but it turns off every single time since an update usually takes an hour but my phone always shuts off while trying to update it since it's been connected for longer than 15 minutes in recovery mood. I don't know what to do anymore. (my phones an iPhone 6)

iPhone 6s

Posted on May 3, 2017 5:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2017 8:25 AM

Hey there, xpleasehelpmex.
I see that your iPhone is in recovery, but exits before iTunes has enough time to download the iOS software. I'm happy to help.

Once iTunes starts downloading the iOS software, disconnect your iPhone from the lightning cable. When the download has completed, make sure your phone is still in recovery mode and reconnect it to the lightning cable again. This way, your phone won't time out.

Let me know how that goes and take care!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2017 8:25 AM in response to xpleasehelpmex

Hey there, xpleasehelpmex.
I see that your iPhone is in recovery, but exits before iTunes has enough time to download the iOS software. I'm happy to help.

Once iTunes starts downloading the iOS software, disconnect your iPhone from the lightning cable. When the download has completed, make sure your phone is still in recovery mode and reconnect it to the lightning cable again. This way, your phone won't time out.

Let me know how that goes and take care!

iphone in recovery mode can't update and restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.