Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Apps and Icons Flickering

I bought my iPhone 7 plus 2 weeks ago, with an iOS 10.3.1, and it's the second time I noticed that the icons flicker from one icon after the other when I plug the charger to my iPhone. The first time I noticed this was 4 days after I bought my iPhone but I ignored it, I thought it's just a normal thing but this time it flickered a lot and I am a lil bit worried.. I had been using iPhone since 5 to 6plus and went to android for nearly 2 years and just got back to iOS, and this is the first time I have encountered this, is this is a big issue or problem..?? Anyone??

[Re-Titled by Host]

Posted on May 3, 2017 10:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2017 4:28 AM

I faced a very similar issue, but not only in "charging time" but also during standard use. I bought an IPhone 7 Plus, only 4 days ago but I had this issue since the start up.

Images and icons softly disappear and long grey/ Blue/red lines cancel all what on the screen.

You need to wait 5-6 minutes and telephone starts working again. Absolutely a NOT Acceptable mess in a smartphone that cost 950 € .

My iPhone 7 Is new and total memory available is still about 90%.

I hope Apple will fix this soon. I never had similar problems with all my previous Android phones.

be careful to consider IPhone 7 Plus as the best smartphone: my actual opinion is much different and I will not recommend anybody to purchase it.

Kindly everybody that faced this issue should share his point of view about.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2017 4:28 AM in response to Iyagawa Chaser

I faced a very similar issue, but not only in "charging time" but also during standard use. I bought an IPhone 7 Plus, only 4 days ago but I had this issue since the start up.

Images and icons softly disappear and long grey/ Blue/red lines cancel all what on the screen.

You need to wait 5-6 minutes and telephone starts working again. Absolutely a NOT Acceptable mess in a smartphone that cost 950 € .

My iPhone 7 Is new and total memory available is still about 90%.

I hope Apple will fix this soon. I never had similar problems with all my previous Android phones.

be careful to consider IPhone 7 Plus as the best smartphone: my actual opinion is much different and I will not recommend anybody to purchase it.

Kindly everybody that faced this issue should share his point of view about.

May 4, 2017 11:41 AM in response to Iyagawa Chaser

Greetings, Iyagawa.

Welcome back to Apple! I see that applications icons are flickering when you connect your iPhone 7 Plus to charge. I'm happy to help you with this.

If an app you installed unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open -- Even though the applications work, there are a few steps in this article to make sure they're working correctly. Test the issue after each step.

Restart your device

Turn your device off and back on.

Check for iOS and app updates

1. Make sure that you're using latest version of iOS.
  2. Open the App Store and tap Updates.
  3. If updates are available, tap Update All.
  4. If asked, enter your Apple ID password.

You might need a Wi-Fi connection to update some apps.

Delete and reinstall the app

1. Tap and hold the app until it jiggles.
  2. Tap the User uploaded file on the app.
    User uploaded file
  3. Press the Home button.
  4. Go to the App Store and download the app again.
  5. Wait for the app to download, then open it from the Home screen.

Let me know how that goes and take care!

Aug 24, 2017 10:47 AM in response to Iyagawa Chaser

Remember that there is also "cleaning" of temporary files from ios applications. iOS 5 and beyond all have this feature..

You Application Icon or icons on your Home Screen may dim briefly (looks like you tap them) then comes back to normal. During this time, your phone is deleting temporary files.

If the deleting process takes long, there will also be a message under that application icon saying "cleaning..."

If the cleaning process is short, the icon dims/blinks for a second and goes back to normal once the TEMP files are deleted.

Aug 24, 2017 8:04 AM in response to Iyagawa Chaser

Hello :)

I know exactly what you mean. This is just one of those bugs, do not worry. I had the same bug with 5S 64GB, 6 Plus 128GB, and now with 7 Plus 256GB.

You should be a very observant person, otherwise you would not notice it. Very few people do.

It happens random, so it is not easy to re-create the bug whenever you want.

What happens is that some of the the Home Menu Application Icons may flick one after another, once you plug the phone to a charger. This happens very quickly. The flickering happens only once, and fast. So it does not bother me.

Also rarely, when you are returning back to Home Menu, an application icon or two may flick once.

Again these happen randomly.

What I do is that, I do not plug the iPhone to a charger, when the Home Screen is on. I put the phone in to sleep (not shutdown, just sleep) and then plug my charger. That way I don't see the flickering :)

May be static electricty, big screen is on, suddenly current entering the phone all combined may be causing it.

The important thing for you is that this is just a bug, I have seen it with many other iPhones. This bug does not affect the use of the phone in anyway. So don't worry about it.

It is not so good to have eagle eyes on computers :) Many people don't even see these thngs, and they will even argue with you that it never happens to their phones. Believe me, it does. They just don't so carefully observe the way the phone behaves like we do.

Just another bug. :)

Sep 19, 2017 8:58 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Hi,

I have the same Problem of icon Flickering on My IPhone 7.

You said that apps should be updated, but actually my Safari Browser app is also flickering when i put my iPhone on charge.

And Safari app is not like other apps to update.

It might be the Problem of Charger or Battery.

I am using original charger given by Apple.

Please reply !

Jan 5, 2018 7:14 AM in response to Iyagawa Chaser

Reason Is,

After hooking the iPhones, IP to Kali, and sniffing the secure traffic, we noticed that, after this flicker is done.

it was not random, it goes to all the incons you pressed in the specific order, so they can :

Track User Experience.
Statistics

Use AI, and push new updates that will force you to do stuff.

Basically - they are having access to you while you dont allow it, and proof is through the moment you update something, it sends this back to apple servers.

iPhone Apps and Icons Flickering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.