Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Disable virtual keyboard ipad while using bluetooth fysical keyboard ?

I Use a third party bluetooth keyboard . Pairing ok, recognises as bluetooth keyboard.

The moment I touch the screen the virtual keyboard pops up.

how to disable this?

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 10.3.1

Posted on May 4, 2017 8:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2017 10:48 AM

I am using Zagg Bluetooth Keyboard Case, which basically turns my iPad Air 2 to a mini laptop: https://www.zagg.com/us/en_us/keyboards/slim-book-keyboard-case

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

When I use applications for typing, by default the onboard keyboard is hidden. I can tap the "show keyboard" key on my bluetooth keyboard, type onscreen, then tap the "hide keyboard" button I mentioned in my previous post.

To see a demo of this, see animation below:

via GIPHY

Maybe you haven't updated to iOS 10.3.1, otherwise, could be the Bluetooth keyboard you're trying to use isn't compatible with iPAd.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2017 10:48 AM in response to IRonGuitar

I am using Zagg Bluetooth Keyboard Case, which basically turns my iPad Air 2 to a mini laptop: https://www.zagg.com/us/en_us/keyboards/slim-book-keyboard-case

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

When I use applications for typing, by default the onboard keyboard is hidden. I can tap the "show keyboard" key on my bluetooth keyboard, type onscreen, then tap the "hide keyboard" button I mentioned in my previous post.

To see a demo of this, see animation below:

via GIPHY

Maybe you haven't updated to iOS 10.3.1, otherwise, could be the Bluetooth keyboard you're trying to use isn't compatible with iPAd.

May 4, 2017 10:44 AM in response to IRonGuitar

Hi IRonGuitar. This may depend on the specific app. When I open a document in SimpleNote, with Bluetooth keyboard connected, and position the cursor, the software keyboard appears. I close it, the cursor remains visible, and I can type. When I tap the screen to reposition the cursor, the on-screen keyboard does not reappear. I'm using iPad Air with iOS 10.3.1.

How to Disable virtual keyboard ipad while using bluetooth fysical keyboard ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.