Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

eMAC OS 9.2 operating system

HI

I am looking for eMAC OS 9.2 install disks.

I have some eMAC Mac OX X and Mac OS 9 for the eMAC 800mhz they do not work.

I need to boot in OS 9 or 9.2

thanks

Art

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on May 4, 2017 11:19 AM

17 replies

May 4, 2017 10:23 PM in response to MichelPM

You need the original Disks for a Native boot for the PowerMac M8570

like Don Archibald says and I agree. If you have another way to boot OS 9

Natively I will listen.

Really what I am talking about here are eMac.

I am looking for the original eMac 1.0 ghz disks that allow the first version of the eMac 1.0ghz

to book natively in OS 9 and OSX. NOT CLASSIC 9 DUAL BOOTING INTO OSX

Don Archibald

User uploaded file Level 10 (101,512 points)

A:

Yes, in order to install OS 9.2.2 as a bootable OS you will need the full original disk set for that model.

As I recall, that model came with a multi-disk set, CDs or DVDs.

You can look on sites like Ebay for such, but be sure to get exactly what you need.

Another place to look for an original disk set is at an Apple User Group - most large cities and universities have one.

Apple - User Groups

You can install OS X on it using a retail version for OS X 10.3 or later.

And, if using OS 9 as Classic is suitable, you can then copy a working (bootable) OS 9.2.x install from another Mac (not from a CD) and it should work fine as Classic (but not as a bootable OS).

May 4, 2017 11:41 AM in response to milagromac

that would be Mac OS System 9

you might find it out on the web in various places and in various conditions but I don't see it for sale from Apple

However Apple may be able to provide you with the installer disk that came with the computer.

Contact Apple

1-800-MY-APPLE

Keep in mind any on-line software that works with that machine is going to be very much out-of-date and seriously riddled with securities flaws that are 20 years too late. Safari, Chrome, Firefox will not have working browsers and it's possibly loaded with Netscape Navigator (the first one) if that will even work any longer.

May 4, 2017 8:35 PM in response to MichelPM

The earlier eMACs like 700 mhz and 800 mhz may work with the disks you suggest.

9.2.1. I have owned those.

However first you need the special eMAC OSX OSX 10.2.1 or 10.3.4

disks that have the internal monitor driver of the eMAC.

Then you can latter upgrade to OSX 10.4.11.

The 9.2.1 disks do not allow native booting for the latter model

eMAC 1 Ghz or the 1.25 Ghz.

You need to use the special eMAC install disks

which start with 10.2.1 or 10.3.4. Then there are 5 eMac OS9 disks

You can supposedly use the terminal to extract the core OS9 files

to boot natively in OS9

In order for the Power Mac G4 MDD 400 firewire to boot Natively in OS9,

you need the Power Mac G4 disks with the OSX and the special OS9 disk (4 of them)

691-4078-A

Art

May 4, 2017 9:47 PM in response to milagromac

No You don't.

I own and used a G4 MDD 1.25 Ghz CPU model for 8 years!

To dual boot Mac OS 9 and OS X, all you needed was either the orange MacOS 9.2.1 or the MacOS 9.2.2 disk that contained the dual boot drivers, that you tell DIsk Utility to install when you intially format the drive.

And I never installed OS X 10.0 or 10.1.

I started my OS X life with OS X 10.2 Jaguar.

You did NOT need 4 discs to get dual booting with a PowerMac G4 MDD.

The only MacOS 9 discs I own for my G4 MDD is an orange and white MacOS 9.1 install disc and a orange and white MacOS 9.2.2 install disc and a blue and white OS X 10.2 Jaguar disc.

My PowerMac MDD started life on MacOS 9.2.2.

May 4, 2017 9:54 PM in response to milagromac

What i am talking about right now are a the eMacs

Specifically

eMac 700 mhz which I installed OSX and the OS 9 from the original Disks

eMac 800 mhz several times from the same eMac Disks the 700 Mhz use.

They both boot natively.

The eMac 1.0 Combo drive is suppose to boot Natively

The eMac 1.25ghz does not boot natively only Classic 9.

When you say dual boot are you talking about booting OSX and Classic 9?

or booting directly into OS 9?

Art

May 4, 2017 10:09 PM in response to milagromac

and of course there are two PowerMac G4 M8570 1.25ghz

Power Mac G4 1.25 Ghz M8570

The firewire 400 model which can boot Natively in OS 9 and also OSX up to 10.4.11

and the firewire 400 and 800 which can only boot in the Classic 9 and OSX up to 10.4.11.

Art

of course there is an

M8570 867mhz

M8570 1.0 ghz

M8570 1.25 Ghz

and that last one

M8570 1.42 ghz

The disk you are referring to is an update disk.

NEW MAC OS 9.2.1 UPDATE CD FOR iMAC eMAC G3 G4 iBOOK POWER BOOK OS 1Z691-3283-A

Now, I have had that original disk 9.0, 9.1, 9.2,9.2.1 but I have never been able to do a Native OS 9 boot with this disk with a model 8570.

Maybe on a quicksilver or earlier model.

I am willing to listen though.

May 4, 2017 10:26 PM in response to milagromac

I believe the MacOS 9.2.1 disc I have works with the 700 and 800 Mhz eMac models.

My mother still has and runs this eMac model,(believe it or not) and at one point was dual bootable between OS 9 and OS X, but no more.

Her eMac's internal hard drive failed years, ago.

I have it running off an external FW400 hard drive running OS X 10.5.8 Leopard.

Her eMac is painfully slow, even for me!

I bought this for her new back in 2003-2004.

My family can't afford to replace it and I can no longer afford to get them a newer used Mac model to at least get them more up to date.

I didn't know the later eMac models used a different version of MacOS 9, though.

In addition, my 1.25 Ghz MDD G4 is running OS X 10.5.8 Leopard and NOT OS X 10.4.11 Tiger.

Also, when I mean dual booting I am talking about being able to boot between MacOS 9 and OS X and vice versa!

I am QUITE familiar with older PowerMac models as I still deal with 'em!

May 4, 2017 10:41 PM in response to milagromac

NO!

I am NOT!

I am talking about Macs THAT could boot both Mac OS 9 AND Mac OS X, N A T I V E L Y!!!'

YOU are confusing MacOS 9 "Clasic Mode" which is a mode where if you were already booted into OS X, you could, through "classic mode" launch MacOS 9 THROUGH OS X!

In that circumstance, "Classic mode" didn't allow access to some peripheral hardware like connected scanners and printers.

That is a totally different scenario!

I KNOW what I am talking about!

I'm done!

May 4, 2017 10:51 PM in response to MichelPM

I know what Native OS 9 and Classic OS 9 booting is.

However, on a PowerMac MDD model M8570 the only way to create a Natively bootable OS 9

system is to use the original disks that came with the computer. That Archibald guy talked about

this too in addition to Apple Service.

Your computer probably had the original system disks installed on the PowerMac G4 MDD M8570

Then you installed some version of OS9, which can work.

I used an extraction of OS9 from the original disks. There are talks about this on vintage macs.

I did an extraction from the original OS9 from the terminal worked a few times.

Sorry you are so frustrated.

Art

May 4, 2017 11:13 PM in response to milagromac

This is the correct explanation on how to install OS9 natively and OSX.

You Need the original disks!!

A dual 1.25ghz is going to be a Mirrored Drive Door model(MDD). The MDD models WITHOUT Firewire 800 can run OS 9 natively, with the caveat that there is a special OS 9.2.2 build for them. Aside from platform support, the standard Radeon 9000 video card will give issues in particular if the drivers are not installed.

If you want to install OS 9, you need to either track down a set of original restore disks(you have to run the complete set, which installs OS X 10.2 and then dumps in the correct system folder) or install the Mac OS 9 Lives Universal Installer. The latter can be found on Macintosh Garden, and I think the the former(a set of four or five disks from memory) is on there as well.

eMAC OS 9.2 operating system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.