Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete photos on iPad but not on iMac

I am using iCould to see photos across devices. If I delete photos on iPad to free up space will they also be deleted from "Photos" on my iMac? I want to free up space but not loose the photos all together. I want to still be able to access them on my iMac.

iPhone 7, iOS 10.3.1

Posted on May 4, 2017 10:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2017 10:17 PM

I am using iCould to see photos across devices. If I delete photos on iPad to free up space will they also be deleted from "Photos" on my iMac?

iCloud Phot oLibrary is a syncing service. The photo library will always sync with iCloud to keep the libraries identical on all devices. if you delete a photo on the iPad it will be deleted on the Mac.

If you need to free storage on your iPad, make sure that "Optimize iPad Storage" is enabled in the Settings > Photo & Camera > iCloud. Then iCloud will automatically photos from the iPad, that you have not used in a long time and replace them on the device by smaller versions. iCloud Photo Library is managing the storage for you. If storage is needed for other things, it will remove more photos. But do not delete photos on your own. It is a bit disconcerting, because it will always look like all storage were taken up by pictures and videos, but iCloud Photo Library will try to keep as many photos on your device as possible, so you do not need to download each and every photo from iCloud and have to wait before you can view it.

Just ignore it, that the iPad seems to be using all storage for photos.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2017 10:17 PM in response to chickiejcr

I am using iCould to see photos across devices. If I delete photos on iPad to free up space will they also be deleted from "Photos" on my iMac?

iCloud Phot oLibrary is a syncing service. The photo library will always sync with iCloud to keep the libraries identical on all devices. if you delete a photo on the iPad it will be deleted on the Mac.

If you need to free storage on your iPad, make sure that "Optimize iPad Storage" is enabled in the Settings > Photo & Camera > iCloud. Then iCloud will automatically photos from the iPad, that you have not used in a long time and replace them on the device by smaller versions. iCloud Photo Library is managing the storage for you. If storage is needed for other things, it will remove more photos. But do not delete photos on your own. It is a bit disconcerting, because it will always look like all storage were taken up by pictures and videos, but iCloud Photo Library will try to keep as many photos on your device as possible, so you do not need to download each and every photo from iCloud and have to wait before you can view it.

Just ignore it, that the iPad seems to be using all storage for photos.

How to delete photos on iPad but not on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.