Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Unsupported Browser detected": is this genuine?

Attempting to enter the Support Communities forums by my normal methods, I'm now suddenly getting a screen that says: "Unsupported Browser detected". I'm then invited to click on a Safari icon to download (presumably) some sort of update to Safari. Has anyone else with Mavericks or Yosemite, or even El Capitan, had this happen? I'm prevented from proceeding any further into the forums. (I've found a temporary workaround for the present).

Judging by the URL and padlock in my Safari address field on the warning page, this on the face of it looks genuine. But I really wonder. The details in the wording say that in order to use the Communities forums I now need a more up-to-date browser.

Why would Apple be asking me to update my Safari in this manner, rather than Apple just issuing an update by the more-usual Apps Store mechanism? My edition of Sarari is 9.1.3, incidentally. It's compatible with every other website I'm currently visiting.

This is especially annoying because I submitted a new Discussion in one of the other Apple Communities forums earlier today but am now prevented from access to it unless and until I update Safari.

The warning webpage all looks genuine, but is it really?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 5, 2017 3:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2017 3:45 AM

As you were! It's fixed. Or at least, it seems so. It looks like, of its own accord, my Safari reverted to some earlier edition. I found that the solution was to go into the Develop menu of the browser and re-select v.9.1.3 (normally, you just see 'Default' selected).

Goodness knows why it changed. I did nothing to provoke it. But I still don't know if that was a genuine Apple alert or not.

carefulowner.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2017 3:45 AM in response to carefulowner

As you were! It's fixed. Or at least, it seems so. It looks like, of its own accord, my Safari reverted to some earlier edition. I found that the solution was to go into the Develop menu of the browser and re-select v.9.1.3 (normally, you just see 'Default' selected).

Goodness knows why it changed. I did nothing to provoke it. But I still don't know if that was a genuine Apple alert or not.

carefulowner.

May 5, 2017 11:39 AM in response to carefulowner

Since you posted you might as well know that the current Safari web browser on OS X 10.9.5 has NOT been updated or supported for nearly 9 months, now, and maybe unsecure, now.

You can either upgrade ypur operating system to the latest macOS Sierra or OS X El Capitán OR switch to a more current and secure web browser such as Mozilla Firefox of Waterfox, if you need to stay on OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks.

Good Luck to You!

"Unsupported Browser detected": is this genuine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.