Related Article: How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am being asked for the Recovery key Apple provided when I set up two-factor authentication. I have no memory or record of such information. Can I get one reissued?

I wanted to back up an old iPad to iCloud and my Apple ID password had changed since I last used the iPad. Entering the new one led to a request for the Recovery Key. How should I proceed?

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11), Core i5, 2.66GHz, 1TB, 24GB memory

Posted on May 5, 2017 4:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2017 4:58 AM

Thank you for replying.

I followed the instructions up to #3> Edit .... but cannot see any point where it says Replace Lost Key.

If you lost your Recovery Key

As long as you remember your Apple ID password and still have access to one of your trusted devices, you can sign in and create a new Recovery Key.

1. Go to your Apple ID account page.
  2. Sign in with your password and trusted device.
  3. In the Security section, click Edit > Replace Lost Key.
12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2017 4:58 AM in response to Ptaxey

Thank you for replying.

I followed the instructions up to #3> Edit .... but cannot see any point where it says Replace Lost Key.

If you lost your Recovery Key

As long as you remember your Apple ID password and still have access to one of your trusted devices, you can sign in and create a new Recovery Key.

1. Go to your Apple ID account page.
  2. Sign in with your password and trusted device.
  3. In the Security section, click Edit > Replace Lost Key.

May 5, 2017 4:46 PM in response to zinacef

I am encountering the same situation. I am trying to update an app my old ipad and it keeps requesting for a recovery key. I have entered my valid Apple ID and password. I also accessed my appleid account and did not find a recovery key reset nor do I recall being issued a recovery key. I would appreciate your assistance. I still use my old ipad to access news in the am.

thank you.

User uploaded file

May 5, 2017 4:51 PM in response to lmvregala

Thank you for sticking with this matter zinacef, (and I'm glad to see I'm not alone Imvregala.)

Here's a photo of the iPad when I'm asked for the Recovery Key. As you see it mentions two-step verification which is at odds with the Two-Factor Authentication acknowledged as 'on' in my first screen shot. No wonder I have no memory of receiving an RK. If I had, I'd have copied it to 1Password where I store similar crucial data. There's nothing in 1Password relating to RK's and I've even searched Mail on the off chance there was a note there. Again, it drew a blank.

Do you think the disparity in settings is due using iOS5.1.1?User uploaded file

May 5, 2017 6:03 AM in response to William Heber Percy

First of, recovery keys aren't supplied with two-factor authentication as you stated in your post, but rather, they are supplied with two-step verification.

From the link Ptaxey provided above, you will have to follow the instructions in that link in order to regain access/entry to your Apple ID and you will have to undoubtedly replace the lost key, because as you stated in your post, you have no recollection of being given such a key.

You may also wish to look at this article as well -- What to do after you change your Apple ID email address or password - Apple Support

May 5, 2017 6:17 AM in response to zinacef

Thank you for clarifying my description.

I think I should add some more detail. As I said, I wanted to back up an old iPad which hasn't been used in a while. In fact it is running iOS 5.1.1 so possibly my attempt to use iCloud on it is futile. But then it did ask me for the Recovery Key so that is why I came her for advice.

To be clear, I can access my Apple ID/Account. Are you recommending that in order to get a new Recovery Key I must switch off Two-step verification and start again?

I am being asked for the Recovery key Apple provided when I set up two-factor authentication. I have no memory or record of such information. Can I get one reissued?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.