You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't open my books in iPad

I can no longer open many of my purchased books on my iPad.

The books I can't open have covers which are now solid colors with the title and the author's name.

Previously that had the regular cover art (and could be opened).

The books I can open were books I purchased, but hadn't downloaded onto the iPad (cloud with downward arrow in the upper right corner).

Once downloaded, they appeared with regular cover art.

All the books that are on my iPad appear on my iPhone, with cover art.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted on May 5, 2017 3:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 7, 2017 10:18 AM

Hello sunset1,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding that you're unable to access several purchased books in iBooks on your iPad. I can see how this would be concerning especially since these books work on your iPhone. I'm happy to help.

First, force close the iBooks app and test the issue again. Force closing can resolve issues with a specific app.
Force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the issue persists, restart your iPad. Restarting can resolve many unexpected behaviors.
Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the behavior continues, try to delete the books from your iPad and download them again. Tap a book that won't open > choose Delete > tap Remove Download to delete it only from the iPad. Follow the steps below to download the books again:
  1. Open the iBooks app.
    If you're using iBooks 3.2 or earlier, tap Store.
  2. Tap Purchased at the bottom of the screen, then tap Books.
  3. Tap "Not on This [device]."
  4. Find the book that you want to download, then tap User uploaded file . The book downloads to your device.
Redownload music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books from the iTunes Store, iBooks Store, and App Store

Have a wonderful day!
2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 7, 2017 10:18 AM in response to sunset1

Hello sunset1,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding that you're unable to access several purchased books in iBooks on your iPad. I can see how this would be concerning especially since these books work on your iPhone. I'm happy to help.

First, force close the iBooks app and test the issue again. Force closing can resolve issues with a specific app.
Force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the issue persists, restart your iPad. Restarting can resolve many unexpected behaviors.
Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the behavior continues, try to delete the books from your iPad and download them again. Tap a book that won't open > choose Delete > tap Remove Download to delete it only from the iPad. Follow the steps below to download the books again:
  1. Open the iBooks app.
    If you're using iBooks 3.2 or earlier, tap Store.
  2. Tap Purchased at the bottom of the screen, then tap Books.
  3. Tap "Not on This [device]."
  4. Find the book that you want to download, then tap User uploaded file . The book downloads to your device.
Redownload music, movies, TV shows, apps, and books from the iTunes Store, iBooks Store, and App Store

Have a wonderful day!

I can't open my books in iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.