Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

login problems

I have a Macbook Pro -OS Sierra - version 10.12.3. Lately when I initially login with my administrator password, it is asking me for : "address book source sync" wants to use local items keychain; accountsd wants to use the local items keychain, spotlight wants login keychain...and about 5 others. I have to enter all passwords to get anywhere else on my laptop. I never had to do this before. It is a pain. Please help. Thank you

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on May 7, 2017 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2017 8:09 PM

As per this article : Change or reset the password of a macOS user account - Apple Support

Create a new login keychain

After resetting your password and logging back in to your account, you might see an alert that the system was unable to unlock your login keychain. This is expected, because the passwords for your user account and login keychain no longer match. Just click the Create New Keychain button.

If you didn't see an alert about your login keychain, or you see other messages asking for your old password, reset your keychain manually:

1. Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
  2. Choose Preferences from the Keychain Access menu, then click the Reset My Default Keychain button in the preferences window. After you enter your new password, Keychain Access creates an empty login keychain with no password. Click OK to confirm.
    If you don't see a Reset My Default keychain button, close the preferences window and select the “login” keychain from the left side of the Keychain Access window. Press the Delete key, then click Delete References.
  3. Choose Log Out from the Apple menu to return to the login screen.
  4. Log in to your account using your new password. Your account password and login keychain password now match again.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2017 8:09 PM in response to avalee18

As per this article : Change or reset the password of a macOS user account - Apple Support

Create a new login keychain

After resetting your password and logging back in to your account, you might see an alert that the system was unable to unlock your login keychain. This is expected, because the passwords for your user account and login keychain no longer match. Just click the Create New Keychain button.

If you didn't see an alert about your login keychain, or you see other messages asking for your old password, reset your keychain manually:

1. Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
  2. Choose Preferences from the Keychain Access menu, then click the Reset My Default Keychain button in the preferences window. After you enter your new password, Keychain Access creates an empty login keychain with no password. Click OK to confirm.
    If you don't see a Reset My Default keychain button, close the preferences window and select the “login” keychain from the left side of the Keychain Access window. Press the Delete key, then click Delete References.
  3. Choose Log Out from the Apple menu to return to the login screen.
  4. Log in to your account using your new password. Your account password and login keychain password now match again.

May 7, 2017 10:37 AM in response to avalee18

When you create an Account for the first time, the password for your user-Id is used for the initial keychain login password. As you create more passwords and other items, anything that could be synchronized with your iCloud keychain gets added to your local items keychain. You never get asked for another password and all is well.

If you change your login password, and especially if you force-change your login password, the keychain password(s) sometimes do not get updated correctly. When this happens, you will get these request(s) to unlock them.

To fix this, your should launch the Keychain App and change the keychain passwords for login and local items keychains to correspond with your current login password. You will need you OLD password to do this. If you cannot provide your OLD password, these keychains will be dead to you, and you will have no choice but to create new, EMPTY keychains for the items, and build them back up as you go about your business.

Some users will protest, "But I do not use keychain for anything!" My answer is that if your email password does not have to be entered each time you start Mail, you do indeed use Keychain.

login problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.