Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro frozen at login screen

We have a MBP from 2015 in my daughter's room, which she rarely uses (because she is addicted to her iPad). Last night I open the MBP to check something. It showed a Guest login screen with a spinning indicator User uploaded file.

It does not respond to any keyboard input or trackpad input. I tried pressing the power key for about 20 seconds and nothing happened. I tried to do an SMC reset (disconnect power cord, press Shift+Control+Option+Power key for 20 seconds) and nothing happened.

I let it sit overnight and checked it this morning, and it's still in the same state. It doesn't respond to any inputs.

The green light on the MagSafe adapter indicates it is fully charged.

HELP!!!!

Does anybody have advice for resurrecting this Mac?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on May 8, 2017 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2017 8:01 AM

Hold the power button for about 10 seconds to shut down. Then try starting in Safe Mode and see if the problem still occurs?

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Restart holding the "shift" key.

(Expect it to take longer to start this way because it runs a directory check first.)

10 replies

May 8, 2017 8:12 AM in response to macjack

Hi Macjack. Thanks for replying so quickly.

As explained in my original post, I tried pressing the power button - for 20 seconds (several times) and nothing happened. The MBP is not responding to any inputs from keyboard or trackpad. It just sits there at Guest login with the spinning indicator.

May 8, 2017 9:24 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for the suggestion Tesserax. Unfortunately, Mouse Keys isn't the problem.

The MBP is frozen on the Guest Login screen with a spinning indicator and it doesn't respond to any keyboard input - not even prolonged press of the power button.

I've never seen this situation before. I hope somebody can help figure out how to fix it.

Thanks again!

macbook pro frozen at login screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.