Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Midi over thunderbolt bridge between two macbook pros?

I have two macbook pros and I am trying to connected them together for the most reliable and fastest connection

specifically to send MIDI sync and MIDI program.

I have tried using network session to connect wirelessly thru my portable router and although it does make connection "Sometimes" it will lose connection way too frequently.

I also have used an app called IPMidi which works better but still will lose connection randomly.

My question is this.

Is there not a way to just connect thunderbolt to thunderbolt between the two computers via a thunderbolt bridge and send reliable and fast MIDI sync and MIDI program change messages?

It seems odd to me that I have to buy a couple of ethernet to thunderbolt adaptors to create a wired network connection which I assume is the only way to do this since thunderbolt bridge connections dont show up in audio midi devices after making a connection.

Im running Yosemite 10.10.5 on both computers.

My main application is that I run Ableton on one MBP to handle my live sequencing and VST instruments changes and I use my second MBP with Mainstage to accept program changes which in turn displays lyric and chord changes as the sequence progresses for the band. I then have iDisplay on this second computer and bandmates can connect and view this screen from their ipads and phones. This all works via my wireless network router but like I said is very unreliable on the midi connection side of things. Why cant I do this all thru thunderbolt? With exception to the Idisplay app of course.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Ableton and Mainstage

Posted on May 8, 2017 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2017 10:17 PM

Hi,

Here are directions for creating a Thunderbolt bridge (from axesros); note, I have not tried this, nor do I know if it will do what you want, but fwiw:

It is indeed possible to connect two Macs via Thunderbolt without using the Migration Assistant or Target Disk Mode.

I'm doing it right now, between a Mac Mini and a MacBook Pro, both running Yosemite.

This is called a Thunderbolt bridge.

Steps to make this work:-

- Disable WiFi on each of the Macs, and disconnect Ethernet on at least one of the Macs, if you want to be sure it's Thunderbolt that's being used.

- Physically connect the two Macs via a Thunderbolt cable.

- On Mac 1:

- System Preferences->Network

- You should see Thunderbolt Bridge on the list of interfaces, with Self-Assigned IP and an amber/yellow status

- Change the Configure IPv4: field from DHCP with manual address to Manually

- Change IP Address: e.g. I use 169.254.1.1

- On Mac 2:

- You should see Thunderbolt Bridge on the list of interfaces, with Self-Assigned IP and an amber/yellow status

- Change IP Address: e.g. I use 169.254.1.2

- The Thunderbolt bridge status will still show an Amber/Yellow on both Macs

- On Mac 2:

- In Finder select Go, Connect to Server

- type in the IP address of Mac 1: i.e. 169.254.1.1

- You should now be connected to Mac 1 ...

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2017 10:17 PM in response to indygorecording

Hi,

Here are directions for creating a Thunderbolt bridge (from axesros); note, I have not tried this, nor do I know if it will do what you want, but fwiw:

It is indeed possible to connect two Macs via Thunderbolt without using the Migration Assistant or Target Disk Mode.

I'm doing it right now, between a Mac Mini and a MacBook Pro, both running Yosemite.

This is called a Thunderbolt bridge.

Steps to make this work:-

- Disable WiFi on each of the Macs, and disconnect Ethernet on at least one of the Macs, if you want to be sure it's Thunderbolt that's being used.

- Physically connect the two Macs via a Thunderbolt cable.

- On Mac 1:

- Change IP Address: e.g. I use 169.254.1.1

- On Mac 2:

- Change IP Address: e.g. I use 169.254.1.2

- The Thunderbolt bridge status will still show an Amber/Yellow on both Macs

- On Mac 2:

- In Finder select Go, Connect to Server

- type in the IP address of Mac 1: i.e. 169.254.1.1

- You should now be connected to Mac 1 ...

Midi over thunderbolt bridge between two macbook pros?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.