You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air 7,2 Battery Lifespan Longevity

My MacBook Air7,2 has a claimed battery cycle count of 1000.

It has a current cycle count of 114.

My question is, will I halt the cycle count while ever I use the Mac on mains power?

In other words, does the Mac draw power from the battery when it's connected to mains power?

And If perchance it doesn't, will having the Mac on mains power all day harm the (lithium ion) battery?

Cheers Bushranger59

MacBook Air, iOS 10.3.1

Posted on May 10, 2017 2:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 10, 2017 3:32 AM

Apple does not claim or guarantee that a battery will last 1000 cycles. Apple says that the battery is DESIGNED to last up to 1000 cycles.

The more you use the battery with the charger, the less cycles will be accumulated. That said, do not do that 100% of the time. At least once per month use it under battery power so the battery gets some 'exercise'. Lithium batteries other wise will deteriorate at a faster pace.

There are rare instances when the Mac is being pressed for electrical resources where the battery may be tapped for additional energy when being powered by the charger.

Ciao.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 10, 2017 3:32 AM in response to Bushranger59

Apple does not claim or guarantee that a battery will last 1000 cycles. Apple says that the battery is DESIGNED to last up to 1000 cycles.

The more you use the battery with the charger, the less cycles will be accumulated. That said, do not do that 100% of the time. At least once per month use it under battery power so the battery gets some 'exercise'. Lithium batteries other wise will deteriorate at a faster pace.

There are rare instances when the Mac is being pressed for electrical resources where the battery may be tapped for additional energy when being powered by the charger.

Ciao.

MacBook Air 7,2 Battery Lifespan Longevity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.