Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to merge photo libraries

Hi!

Operating System: MacOS Sierra v.10.12.4

A few months back I installed a Western Digital My Cloud device at home. Had a few teething problems and it appeared to be working as anticipated, albeit I haven't learned how to do a backup from my MacBook Pro or, the My Cloud app on my iPhone to the WD MC.

I noticed last week that for some reason photos taken with my iPhone have not streamed between phone and MacBook. The photos app in my MacBook Dock, when clicked opens a photo library which is not up to date, that is to say it has a cut off date of photos streamed 31 March 2017. After further investigation trying to access my photos library via Finder, I noticed that a new Photo Library 2, has been created without me doing anything!

I have tried to drag and drop both libraries to one or the other and this does not work. I have also tried to drag and drop libraries to the photos app in my dock station, message I receive is do I want to switch to another library?

I now have to switch between Photo Library and Photo Library 2 in Photos, which I find inconvenient and further more as I mentioned new photos taken with my iPhone has stopped streaming to any of the Photo Libraries on my Mac or my Western Digital My Cloud device.

How can I merge the two photo libraries to having only one and ensure that photo's taken on my iPhone, stream automatically again to my photo library?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Shawn

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), iOS 5.1

Posted on May 10, 2017 6:00 AM

10 replies

May 13, 2017 4:12 AM in response to Shawn4

Open the Finder Preferences to make the drives visible.

• Bring the Finder forward by clicking on the Desktop or the Finder icon in the Dock.
  • In the main menu bar go to "Finder > Preferences > General":
  • enable the Hard disks and the external disks to show in the Finder.
  • In the Sidebar tab enable also your disks to show, and everything else you would like to see there, like your Pictures folder.

User uploaded file

Now you should be able to select your disks on your Desktop or in the Sidebar and enter ⌘I to open the Info panel.

Jun 1, 2017 4:25 AM in response to léonie

Hi!

Apologies for not replying sooner. I've been experiencing performance problems with my Mac. I seem to have been successful in putting those fires out, but am still experiencing problems with photos and the Western Digital My Cloud device.

On top of this, for some strange reason or another, a disc icon "Macintosh HD" has appeared on my Mac's Desktop and I can't seem to move or close it. Any advice?

Best wishes

Shawn

User uploaded file

Jun 1, 2017 8:30 AM in response to Shawn4

I've been experiencing performance problems with my Mac.

Download and run Etrecheck. Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

User uploaded file

May 10, 2017 6:28 AM in response to Shawn4

Photos cannot merge libraries.

You will have to export the photos from one library and import them into the second library too create a merged library.

Or use the application PowerPhotos (the full, paid version) to transfer the photos between libraries.

This user tip explains the options to merge libraries in more detail:

See: Notes on Merging Photos Libraries

Where are your libraries stored? Is your current Photos Library on your new My Cloud Drive?

If yes, that will be the reason, why Photos created a new library on your system drive. Photos has not been designed to work with a library on a NAS. The Photos Library needs to be on a drive formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled) and locally mounted. Otherwise Photos may continually lose the connection to the library and create a new library on the internal drive.

Move your Photos Library to a locally mounted volume, if you do not want to risk a library corruption and data loss. Apple warns against putting the Photos Library on a network share, see this link:

Sharing photo libraries among multiple users - Apple Support

Be sure to choose a locally mounted drive. Storing your library on a network share can lead to poor performance, data corruption, or data loss.

May 11, 2017 10:04 AM in response to Shawn4

The device itself was formatted to run Mac OS. When installing I was given an option of being formatted for Mac OS or Windows.

I am pretty sure that the Western digital software will use a file system format, that allows you to read and write single files using a Mac, but the file system format will not be MacOS Extended (Journaled), and then it is dangerous to store photo libraries on this drive. This can create ambiguous filenames. There is no save way to share a Photos Library on a network share drive and to share it between several users this way. Photos is a single user application and not ready to be used with a network library.

Don't risk your photos by putting them on a network share.

Use a drive that is plugged into a USB port of your MacBook Pro: Sharing photo libraries among multiple users - Apple Support

May 11, 2017 5:58 AM in response to léonie

Hi Léonie!

Many thanks for your reply.

In reply to question are the photo libraries stored to be brutally honest I'm unsure. If I follow the pathways the libraries seem to lead being stored on this Western Digital My Cloud device. The thing is up until fairly recently, when I clicked on the Photos Library app in the Dock of my Mac, I had just the one library and photos taken with my iPhone streamed directly to the photo library and did so happily since November 2016 when I installed the WD MC device. I was able to access the device from pretty much anywhere, stream films, music etc.

The device itself was formatted to run Mac OS. When installing I was given an option of being formatted for Mac OS or Windows.

I just don't know how or why everything has changed?

I'm extremely concerned about losing a whole range of files. I had help from support at WD when I installed the device and they advised me to create a folder on My Cloud and move the following folders from Finder on my MacBook: Documents, Photo's, Videos and my iTunes Library. Photos, Videos and iTunes we placed these folders in a Shared Folder. Idea being my wife snd son could access (mainly) my iTunes library to stream music etc.

All my intentions were good, to have our own My Cloud device at home where we could feel safe knowing that all of our precious and sensitive data would be automatically stored, and back ups could also be automated. I don't have the knowledge or skills on how to use the device to always keep a back up of the data on my Mac, Phone on the device. As you've probably guessed, I'm pretty useless with computing and IT stuff!

If you have any other ideas as to how I can move forward and help me, I'd appreciate that very much.

Best Wishes

Shawn

May 11, 2017 6:14 AM in response to Shawn4

By default Photos libraries are in the pictured folder - if they are not then you have put them some where else - to see where a librar is launch the Photo application and in the Photos preferences ==> general the path to the library is shown 0 you can switch libraries by holding down the option key while launching Photos and select a library from the select libraryh window - the path is shown then also

there is no Photos library app - there is a Photos app (by default it is shown on the Dock) and one or more Photos libraries with directions above - there is nothing called Photos library app

and there is no single Mac OS format, there are several - select the device and get info to see the format - for Photos it can only be Mac OS extended (journaled) - is it?

the drive must be connected with a fast wired connection - no wireless or network connections

we placed these folders in a Shared Folder. Idea being my wife snd son could access (mainly) my iTunes library to stream music etc.

If your Photos library is in this shared folder it may be a problem to - Photos is not a multi user program and if different users access it it must be on a drive with ownership ignored - again we need specific details about your set up to now

basically I'm guessing (and you have not provided enough information to be sure) that you have many issues and that the solution is going to be to have the Photos library on your internal drive (hopefully it has not been permentantly damaged by all of this but we do not have enough information to know at this time) or on a local drive formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) connected with a fast wired connection like USB, FireWire or ThunderBolt

LN

May 12, 2017 2:43 AM in response to LarryHN

Hi Larry!

Many thanks for your reply. You've given me a few things to consider and action. I'll look into this during the weekend when I won't be disturbed and can fully focus on the tasks at hand.

What I'm struggling to understand is that since November 2016, everything (appeared) to be working in sync. Photos worked with my photo stream. Photos in Finder (the icon) was moved to a Pictures Folder on the WD My Cloud device and Photos was kept updated. I was able to view all the 4,000+ photos I have (had), by opening Photos via my MacBooks icon in Dock.

I'm frustrated at myself for not having the skills to solve these issues myself and some aimed at Western Digital because it feels like I've been mis-sold a product which contradicts my needs and what I was "shopping" for. I hope I'm wrong about this.

I'll be in touch if I continue experience problems.

Best wishes

Shawn

May 12, 2017 5:54 AM in response to Shawn4

If the drive is not the correct format things may work for a while but damage may be occuring and an upgrage may then make things quit working

This is very simple

the photos library MUST be only on a drive formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) - is yours? Check the drive format in teh finder by selecting the drive and getting info

Until you do this simple tsep it is not possible to continue - and it is the most like cause of the issue so please verify your drive format

LN

How to merge photo libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.