Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video Glitches when switching from built in display to external and vice versa

Good Morning Everyone,

I have an interesting problem that despite my efforts to fix or find solutions to has eluded me for a while now so I turn you the fountain of knowledge that is this community for help.

I have an early 2015 13" rMBP. I frequently use it at my office desk connected to an external monitor via HDMI and I also need to be able to take it "on the road" with me. When I am running the computer on the desk, I am running it with the screen closed and the back propped up a couple of inches for air flow. The problem that I am running into is whenever I switch from either the built in display to the external monitor or vice versa I get video glitching until I restart the machine. The glitching is random and does not seem to have any real rhyme or reason to it. The only two constants are that the simple act of switching displays causes the glitching and rebooting the machine fixes it. I make sure the machine is asleep before I connect or disconnect the cords.

Steps taken to fix:

1. Reinstall Sierra and all updates
  2. Reset NVRAM and SMC

I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

~Travis

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.4)

Posted on May 10, 2017 5:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2017 7:47 AM

Which means that until/unless that issue is fixed in an update, you'll have to live with that issue.

At least give Apple some feedback so they know about the issue: https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

9 replies

Video Glitches when switching from built in display to external and vice versa

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.