Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ignore built-in trackpad always ignores

I have a new Magic Trackpad 2, which I bought to reduce palm interference when I'm typing on my laptop. I have big hands, and it keeps moving the mouse and tapping.

I went into Accessibility: Mouse & Trackpad, and checked Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present. Works great! No palm interference.

The problem comes when the wireless trackpad isn't there or turned off. It still ignores the built-in trackpad.

There are no other mice or trackpads that are currently connected, and I have to use Mouse Keys to maneuver to the Accessibility Preference Pane to turn the trackpad back on.

Anybody else see this?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), macOS Sierra (10.12.4)

Posted on May 10, 2017 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2017 4:45 PM

It turns out that the problem is the Logitech Options application for my K811 keyboard. I'm sending the following report to Logitech:

LogiMgrDriver.kext interferes with normal system function and accessibility features.

The following driver:

23 0 0xffffff7f80f23000 0x42000 0x42000 com.logitech.manager.kernel.driver (6.40.1) C1D41FB7-7A01-38E3-A769-65B1DE65B0FD <22 19 18 16 5 4 3>

...registers pointing devices even though the only Logitech product I have on the system is a K811 keyboard.

In System Preferences->Accessibility->Mouse & Keypad, there is an option "Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present".

If I don't have an external trackpad or mouse added, the internal trackpad is still ignored.

Removing /Library/Extensions/LogiMgrDriver.kext solves the problem.

Running ioreg suggests that this driver is installing mouse-like HID devices even though it isn't managing any Logitech input devices other than the keyboard.

These pointing devices cause macOS to think there is a trackpad or mouse present, and so the internal trackpad stays disabled.

This is really inconvenient as it makes it quite difficult to change the option again without a trackpad!

Please fix this. I'd be happy with a single app to manage the keyboard settings only.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2017 4:45 PM in response to kamitchell

It turns out that the problem is the Logitech Options application for my K811 keyboard. I'm sending the following report to Logitech:

LogiMgrDriver.kext interferes with normal system function and accessibility features.

The following driver:

23 0 0xffffff7f80f23000 0x42000 0x42000 com.logitech.manager.kernel.driver (6.40.1) C1D41FB7-7A01-38E3-A769-65B1DE65B0FD <22 19 18 16 5 4 3>

...registers pointing devices even though the only Logitech product I have on the system is a K811 keyboard.

In System Preferences->Accessibility->Mouse & Keypad, there is an option "Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present".

If I don't have an external trackpad or mouse added, the internal trackpad is still ignored.

Removing /Library/Extensions/LogiMgrDriver.kext solves the problem.

Running ioreg suggests that this driver is installing mouse-like HID devices even though it isn't managing any Logitech input devices other than the keyboard.

These pointing devices cause macOS to think there is a trackpad or mouse present, and so the internal trackpad stays disabled.

This is really inconvenient as it makes it quite difficult to change the option again without a trackpad!

Please fix this. I'd be happy with a single app to manage the keyboard settings only.

May 10, 2017 6:33 PM in response to kamitchell

Why can you not uncheck the ignore trackpad option using the magic trackpad before you turn off the magic trackpad. Until you uncheck it the checked option will continue to obey the original command to the built in trackpad. This would apply to the magic trackpad equally before you or anyone else takes it somewhere else so that it isn't there. There is no way to apply the option to anything other than the built in trackpad. Or am I missing something?

May 10, 2017 6:39 PM in response to seventy one

It's not very convenient to have to find a setting two levels deep in a preference pane and turn off an option just in case I grab the laptop and walk away without the trackpad at some point in the future.

It'd be much more like Apple that it just do the best thing in the circumstance and enable the built-in trackpad if there's nothing else. Leads me to believe that it may be a bug.

May 11, 2017 10:33 PM in response to kamitchell

Glad to see you have resolved the problem and thank you for coming back to tell us. All too often we don't learn the final answer.

My guess is there are so many third party applications it isn't possible to account for all without affecting Apples own system; the argument appears to require third parties to make adjustments to meet Apple's system.

Ignore built-in trackpad always ignores

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.