Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unrecognized person in control of family plan

I just got notified of unauthorized purchases on my account (good thing my credit card info had expired). I went to my account and noticed someone I don't recognize on the Family Sharing. Here is the text showing on my account: "The payment method for your Family is managed by *********." I do not know this person and this is obviously a hack. Both on my iPhone and Mac the Family Sharing is not enabled. Has anyone had this happen to them? I have changed my password but I don't want to keep this person on any Family Sharing.

<Email Edited by Host>

iPhone 5s

Posted on May 10, 2017 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2017 7:01 PM

I have tried your suggestions and when I go to:

• On an iOS device: Go to Settings > iCloud, then tap Family.
  • On a Mac: Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click iCloud, then click Manage Family.

The Family share is dimmed out so I am NOT a part of a Family sharing group.

I also have changed my passwords and setup additional security options, but that does not solve the fact that this person has me on their family plan. This is NO ONE I know. I have checked with all my family and friends.

I want this person removed from any association from my account. None of the material on this site tells me how to remove someone.

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2017 7:01 PM in response to Leanne_68

I have tried your suggestions and when I go to:

• On a Mac: Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click iCloud, then click Manage Family.

The Family share is dimmed out so I am NOT a part of a Family sharing group.

I also have changed my passwords and setup additional security options, but that does not solve the fact that this person has me on their family plan. This is NO ONE I know. I have checked with all my family and friends.

I want this person removed from any association from my account. None of the material on this site tells me how to remove someone.

May 11, 2017 2:04 PM in response to jchelp123456789

Hey jchelp123456789,

If I understand correctly, there is someone you do not recognize in your Family Sharing group and you don't want to keep them in the group. You also believe your account security has been compromised. I would recommend you read these articles and use them to help troubleshoot the issue.

If you set up Family Sharing, you’re the family organizer and can add and remove family members, choose whether a child must have purchases approved, and designate another parent who can approve children’s purchases. Use your iOS device or Mac.

iCloud: View and change Family Sharing settings
If you think your Apple ID has been compromised
Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one.

Jun 27, 2017 3:35 AM in response to Jay tee 21

I called the iTunes department. The first time I tried contacting them they said because I didn't have a service contract they couldn't help.

I sent emails and made more calls till I got help. The removed her email and the charges.

I still can't purchase apps because of the payment information that's there. It isn't mine. I have sent more emails.. no result.

May 14, 2017 10:35 AM in response to jchelp123456789

Hi jchelp123456789,

Thanks for keeping us updated. If Family Sharing is not enabled how did you receive a notification that the payment method is managed by someone else, was this through an email? It may be possible that this is a phishing attempt if you have checked and you are not in a family sharing group.

Identify and report phishing emails and other suspicious messages
Take care.

May 26, 2017 12:45 AM in response to raina_b22

I am having the same problem. It says that my family share plan is already used for shared purchases "some complete stranger's' family. Then when I go to my App store page I have that person and two other strangers of which I have no idea who they are in my "Family Purchases" drop down. It looks like someone hacked my ID and signed me up in their family and now others are joining and I am stuck as part of their family. I have changed my password. How do I dump those people and leave this group?

Jun 1, 2017 3:12 PM in response to jchelp123456789

I have this problem, too. I got an email yesterday saying there was a purchase on my account initiated in China. I reset my password. Then when I went to change my billing information, it says I am a family member managed by an unknown email address (~~~@icloud.com), and that I need a security code to make a purchase. I never activated the family option. The credit card information entered is not a number I own. I can't change the payment info. (Luckily, the credit card info I was previously using expired yesterday.) I just don't understand what the benefit is to the person who did this.

Jul 7, 2017 6:13 AM in response to Alvin524

They had to disable my Apple ID. Then I had to call back to reinstate it. All it fixed was being able to update my apps. I still can't purchase new apps. Some iCloud address still has payment control. I'm furious about this. At first I was just ticked off. No.. furious.

Apple will not return emails or calls. I was on hold for about 1.5 hours. Stupid

Jul 11, 2017 12:07 PM in response to shpankey

Just to update mine. First, removed myself from their Family Sharing and turned it off altogether. Then I changed my password, selecting a much harder one and also enabled Two Factor Authentication. Then I logged into iTunes then clicked on "Account" then "View my Account" and on that page, under "Purchase History" clicked on "See All". On that page, select "Report a Problem". This reveals all of the charges on your account and opens a webpage at https://reportaproblem.apple.com. From there, click on the purchase/s and select "I did not authorize this purchase" and then the "iTunes Store Support" which gives you a direct number to call. Once called in, select 1 for a human and explain the bad charge. After a short wait, they came back and had removed all purchases they made from my account to clear up the issue.

Now, I can't figure out why it won't let me add a new credit cards, but that's another problem for another day.

Aug 20, 2017 9:54 PM in response to Nachari

I just got my iPhone a week ago and I went to download a ringtone tonight and it says I belong to some WI*** family account then some Asian letters and a credit card that doesn't belong to me. It's grayed out and won't allow me to change it. I want that account deleted because I don't know who it is I don't even speak the language. What can I do?!

Unrecognized person in control of family plan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.