Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages document saved over accidentally

I thought I had made a copy of a document I wanted to use as a template for a totally unrelated subject. When I got done with the new document, however, and went to open the original one I discovered it no longer existed. I've looked at the instructions for how to recover a prior Version, but when I put my cursor over the title of the open document it doesn't show me any other versions. Can anyone help me recover my original document? It wasn't backed up by time machine or to the cloud.

I'm currently using Pages '09 version 4.3

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on May 11, 2017 9:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2017 3:36 PM

I've not found previous versions by hovering my cursor over the title of a document nor anywhere else. In apps that support versioning (not all do, but Pages does) & with the document in question open, go to File > Revert To > Browse All Versions… (my screenshot has a this Safari window as the background but don't let that confuse you).

User uploaded file

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2017 3:36 PM in response to Trahnesi

I've not found previous versions by hovering my cursor over the title of a document nor anywhere else. In apps that support versioning (not all do, but Pages does) & with the document in question open, go to File > Revert To > Browse All Versions… (my screenshot has a this Safari window as the background but don't let that confuse you).

User uploaded file

Jul 11, 2017 1:07 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

I have the same problem and just lost more than a week of a lot of work. Is it impossible to recover a previously saved version if I accidentally saved over that version? Not even trying a Data Recovery software? Please help me out. I would really appreciate any help w/ this, as I lost a ton of very important notes...

If anyone can help me, please email me at francisco.j.sanchez.rivera@gmail.com as my email here is not functional anymore... Thanks...

Jul 11, 2017 1:14 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Yes, but I have been away for 2 weeks taking a course (so have not used time machine these days) and have lost the notes because of this mistakes... Even snippets would be more useful than the document I have at this moment... I am trying using a data recovery software called Data Recovery... But any tips to even get random chunks of my previous document would be appreciated... Anything would help... Thanks...

Oct 18, 2018 1:09 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Yes, but I have been away for 2 weeks taking a course (so have not used time machine these days) and have lost the notes because of this mistakes... Even snippets would be more useful than the document I have at this moment... I am trying using a data recovery software called Data Recovery... But any tips to even get random chunks of my previous document would be appreciated... Anything would help... Thanks...

Jul 11, 2017 1:29 PM in response to fsr19720

Time Machine doesn't need you to do anything except plug in the external drive it uses, so that may have been a problem. Was it plugged in at the time you oversized your document?

The snippets are the occassional recognisable word amongst often masses of hexadecimal garbage, not really useful.

There is a bit better, but not much greater chance with pure text documents, with no formatting, but Pages 5 and 6 documents are hard to parse at the best of times, even with just text.

By all means try your data recovery software but it will take a lot of time and in all the decades of me trying I can't ever remember getting anything useful.

Most file management allocates addresses on your storage device. Like you live at an address that is where we find you. If you move to a new address we can hunt for you and find you there. But if someone else moves into your address and you are eliminated not moved, there is nowhere to find you.

Peter

Oct 18, 2018 1:09 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thanks - I really appreciate your help. It seems that I have lost my data... This had happened to me using Microsoft Word in the past, but Word allowed me to find the previous version... Very unfortunate for me...

Oct 18, 2018 1:09 AM in response to Peggy

Thanks Peggy. Unfortunately (and I don't really understand why) I did not have any other versions when I clicked the "Browse All Versions" tab... They only arose after I saved over the file that I didn't want to save over... And this has been a file that I have been saving over and over for almost 2 weeks now... So frustrating...

Pages document saved over accidentally

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.