Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

meaning of ineligible

In iCloud Drive the icon against Photos shows a cloud with a line through it. The line runs from bottom left to top right. I have picked up that it could men 'ineligible'.

My questions are:

1. What does it mean?

2. If it means one or more of the images which I have put into Photos is ineligible for icloud what do I do? I have more than enough storage: 165.73GB. The iCloud drive folder also sows that the Photos Library is is 30.86GB.

3. If some images are ineligible how do I find them and enable them to become eligible?

I'm on Sierra v. 10.12.4

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on May 12, 2017 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2017 10:26 AM

Did you move your Photos Library onto iCloud Drive? The Photos Library must not be stored on a volume that is syncing with a cloud service. That will damage the Photos Library. Move the library back to a local storage immediately.

See Apple's warning here: Updating from iPhoto to Photos for macOS - Apple Support

User uploaded file If you store your Photos library in a location that's part of a cloud service (for example, Dropbox, Box, or Google Drive), your library might be damaged by the syncing process. As a result, you could lose photos.

To see your photos on all your devices, you can use iCloud Photo Library. To back up your library, you can use Time Machine.

If you want to sync your photos with iCloud, enable iCloud Photo Library in the Photos > Preferences > iCloud, but keep the Photos library on your Mac. If you enable "Optimize Storage" you can save storage on your Mac. This Help Page explains how to use your iCloud Storage safely for your Photos: https://help.apple.com/photos/mac/1.2/?lang=en#/phtf5e48489c

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2017 10:26 AM in response to Harry91

Did you move your Photos Library onto iCloud Drive? The Photos Library must not be stored on a volume that is syncing with a cloud service. That will damage the Photos Library. Move the library back to a local storage immediately.

See Apple's warning here: Updating from iPhoto to Photos for macOS - Apple Support

User uploaded file If you store your Photos library in a location that's part of a cloud service (for example, Dropbox, Box, or Google Drive), your library might be damaged by the syncing process. As a result, you could lose photos.

To see your photos on all your devices, you can use iCloud Photo Library. To back up your library, you can use Time Machine.

If you want to sync your photos with iCloud, enable iCloud Photo Library in the Photos > Preferences > iCloud, but keep the Photos library on your Mac. If you enable "Optimize Storage" you can save storage on your Mac. This Help Page explains how to use your iCloud Storage safely for your Photos: https://help.apple.com/photos/mac/1.2/?lang=en#/phtf5e48489c

Jan 8, 2018 10:44 AM in response to Harry91

Does not this defeat the purpose of having the cloud?

I purchased 2TB per month for 2 main reasons.

1. To free up HD on my iMac.

2. Access my 51,000 photos from my mac laptop.

Ok. That is not how its supposed to work. So can i store the library on an external HD. Run Photo from there and then Share on iCloud?

Jan 8, 2018 11:11 AM in response to ju24ly

You cannot move your Photos Library to iCloud Drive - keep it local on your Mac, enable iCloud Photo library and "Optimize storage". Photos will upload your library to iCloud and use the cloud storage you signed up for. If you enabled "Optimize Storage", Photos will remove large original files to free storage if you need more storage. But then you will need an internet connection to work with your photos, because the original image files may need downloading from iCloud.

meaning of ineligible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.