Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does shift+open do?

I used to have problems opening apps on my mac and everyone told me to shift+click to open the applications that had problems.

It worked perfectly but I could not understand why? 😕

My question is: What does shift+open application do? Why does it work?

PS. I hame the latest version of os X Sierra and a mac book pro mid 2012 with 4 GB ram.

Thanks!!! 🙂

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.4), 4 GB ram

Posted on May 12, 2017 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2017 12:18 PM

holding down SHIFT while opening will reset the defaults of many Apple built in software packages in OS X/Mac OS. It works because some software packages may have a corrupt preference or setup file and resetting the file can repair the problem.

Some 3rd party apps such as Adobe CS requires SHIFT+OPT+CMD+CTRL to reset the applications, and some packages do not have any such feature to accommodate this.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2017 12:18 PM in response to ZtereoHYPE

holding down SHIFT while opening will reset the defaults of many Apple built in software packages in OS X/Mac OS. It works because some software packages may have a corrupt preference or setup file and resetting the file can repair the problem.

Some 3rd party apps such as Adobe CS requires SHIFT+OPT+CMD+CTRL to reset the applications, and some packages do not have any such feature to accommodate this.

May 12, 2017 12:09 PM in response to ZtereoHYPE

Shift+click on any UI element to run the animation in slow motion (shift click green, orange, red window icons for example).

I suspect you are thinking about ctrl+clicking on a Application & then selecting the 'open' option.

That is part of Gatekeeper…

OS X: About Gatekeeper - Apple Support

See the section…

How to open an app from a unidentified developer and exempt it from Gatekeeper

Basically the OS does not allow you to open an application that does not have a signed certificate from Apple. You can add an exemption by ctrl+clicking to 'open' the app. You only need to do that once (unless the app gets updated).

Generally it is safer to avoid adding too many exemptions but you can't avoid it if you use a lot of apps from outside the Mac App store.

P.S. 'ctrl+click' is the same as a right click if you have that enabled.

May 12, 2017 1:30 PM in response to ZtereoHYPE

If you are force quitting often you should ask why. Post a new topic on the forums with an Etrecheck report if you want to spend time investigating any issues that may be visible to the users here…

http://etrecheck.com/

Disk failure or incompatible apps may be causing problems that could be fixed or addressed before data is lost or damaged etc.

What does shift+open do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.