Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disconnecting audio device from USB-C port causes macOS Sierra to hang during shutdown

I've found that disconnecting and reconnecting an audio device from a USB-C port, especially while an app is playing audio, causes macOS to go into a weird state where it's unable to recognize the audio device when reconnected (no audio device appears in System Preferences > Sound).

The only way to resolve is a reboot - however, rebooting in this state always causes macOS to hang during the shutdown process.

To reproduce the issue:

1. Connect USB 2.0 audio device to a USB-C port on a Mac (using a USB-C to USB adaptor)
  2. Play some audio in any app (doesn't matter which, iTunes will do)
  3. Disconnect (unplug) the audio device while audio is playing
  4. Reconnect the audio device

Expected result: The audio device re-appears in System Preferences > Sound, and works normally.

Actual result: The audio device sometimes fails to appear in System Preferences > Sound. When this happens, the only way to make it appear again is by rebooting. However rebooting causes macOS to hang during shutdown, showing a black screen with a frozen pointer. You then have to do a "hard" shutdown by holding the power button.

It sometimes takes several attempts to reproduce the issue.

I'm running macOS Sierra 10.12.4 on a late 2016 MacBook Pro, with an external USB 2.0 audio interface (RME Babyface Pro), and I can reproduce the problem using Apple's own USB-C to USB (Type A) adaptor to connect the audio device (and nothing else) to the MacBook Pro.

I contacted the audio device vendor (RME), they said it's a problem on Apple's side.

Has anyone else noticed this?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS Sierra (10.12.4), null

Posted on May 13, 2017 3:49 PM

1 reply

May 14, 2017 7:05 AM in response to enteq

Hi there, enteq!

Thanks for reaching out to the ​Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you are having issues with your MacBook Pro and disconnecting an audio device. What you might want to try next are some specific restarts. Check out this article to Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac .

Next, check out this article with steps how to Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac .

Another option you can try is in this article: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac . This will allow you to check to see if the issue is user specific or system wide.

Also, have you noticed the issue happening with other audio devices or only the one specific one?

Let me know and have a great day!

Disconnecting audio device from USB-C port causes macOS Sierra to hang during shutdown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.