Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calibrating an iPod Touch Battery

Hey Guys,

So lately my iPod touch (6th Gen) has been fully charged (left on the charger overnight, all day at my desk without use, etc, until it shows 100% charged on the home screen) but when I start to use it, after a short period of time (sometimes just an hour of continuous use, other times 2 or 3 hours), it gave me that 20% left warning. Now of course, the iPod Touch doesn't have an actual battery readout percentage so I'm not sure exactly what was going on. I would be fine at "<20%" for an hour but never really pushed it past that before I stuck it on the charger.

Someone remarked to me that the battery calibration may be off, and to keep using it until it died, and then charge it back up to full without using it to recalibrate it.

I have some free time today, so I decided to give it a shot. I woke up this morning at 8am after giving it a full charge overnight, and started using it, pretty continuously. When I got the <20% warning, I looked at the battery tab in settings, and it showed that I had used it about 1h38m and it had been 1h50-ish minutes since my last charge. I kept using it intermittently and it finally died around 2:30pm. The last I had checked, it showed about 2h45m of use and 5h30m since last charge but I didn't get a reading right before it died. I let it sit for 10 minutes as instructed by one of the sites I was looking at for directions on how to calibrate the battery, and then plugged it in, but didn't enter my unlock code. I didn't want it to be connected to wifi and getting notifications etc as it was calibrating.

Now here's where I'm at: I went to take a quick nap and do some stuff in the garage, and when I came back 2 hours later, I looked at the lock screen. The top right icon shows the battery still in the red, a.k.a. <20% remaining. In the past, when I got the <20% warning and stuck it on the charger shortly thereafter, it went up to green within 10-20 minutes, if even that.

I'm wondering what I should do at this point. I know I'm not supposed to use the device during calibration, but should I log-in and see what is going on? Or should I just keep it on the charger for a few more hours and patiently wait to see if anything else happens? What would I do if it continues to stay in the red at that point?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

-Wu

Posted on May 14, 2017 1:55 PM

There are no replies.

Calibrating an iPod Touch Battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.