Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Your Apple ID was used to sign...'

When I log into Iworks on the web, I receive an alert on my iPhone, stating:

'Your Apple ID is being used to sign in on the web near Manchester, England.'

Can somebody with the correct technical knowledge tell me whether this is normal or whether I need to take action to protect my device.

Many thanks

iPhone 5s

Posted on May 15, 2017 5:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2017 6:04 AM

I can't explain the incorrect location unless that has something to do with an incorrect time zone setting or incorrect WiFi or GPS reading on the phone, but I can assure you that every time that you sign into iCloud.com on a web browser, you will get that message. I tried it again right I posted the first time and I received the message as expected.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2017 6:04 AM in response to guycruls

I can't explain the incorrect location unless that has something to do with an incorrect time zone setting or incorrect WiFi or GPS reading on the phone, but I can assure you that every time that you sign into iCloud.com on a web browser, you will get that message. I tried it again right I posted the first time and I received the message as expected.

Dec 4, 2017 7:18 PM in response to guycruls

The question is: Why when I sign in to my icloud account, I get the message, "Your Apple ID is being used to sign in on the web near (insert location here)." The inserted location is about 47 miles away from where my iMac is. The Wi-Fi, GPS is correct, in fact the Wi-Fi and GPS locate my iMac, iPhone, Apple Watch, AirPods and iPad within 30 feet of where I am sitting. So, why the discrepancy when the icloud account is being opened? Apple, please respond. Thank you.

Dec 5, 2017 1:31 AM in response to West Havard

It's finding the nearest tower to select from. However, they are typically quite far. It's the ones icloud servers pick up on. As long as you know you just signed in, all is well, as it's you alerting icloud or Apple of a new sign-up. In turn, they're letting you know

My cellular and WiFi always picks up from a neighboring state a long way away, for example

Dec 5, 2017 1:48 AM in response to West Havard

The sign-in location is based on the IP address, not WiFi, GPS, or cell towers. The location comes from the internet provider, and can be many miles from the actual location of the login device. It may be the location where the internet provider connects to a network backbone, not the location of the device logging in.

They use the IP address instead of asking the login device for its location because the device could be programmed to return a fake location.

'Your Apple ID was used to sign...'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.